Chapter 8) Back To The Octopod

KateSeleneMelody3OCS

Kate's POV: "Elena, where did you see Dashi?" I asked. I was really worried about Dashi/Dani. Tweak and I had done our best to make her feel welcome while she stayed in the Octopod.

Tweak would often talk to her, and I had even covered the walls of Dashi's room with canvas, to temporarily bring her more comfort. I had often talked to her, not pressuring her about memories, or rather, her lack of.

Elena hesitated. "Near the old orphanage. The intersection of Palm and Coconut." She replied. She looked nervous. "I've heard bad things about that place. It has a dark history." She murmured.

So she didn't know that I had lived there. I wasn't going to tell her. "I've heard." I muttered. Peso put his flipper on my shoulder. I gently grabbed it, and we walked away to get some space.

"Kate, are you okay?" He asked. "She just brought up the orphanage. It seemed like she didn't know about your past there." He was concerned about me.

I smiled. "I'm fine. I don't want to make her feel guilty, so I didn't say anything." We stood there for a few good seconds, just enjoying each others company.

I felt peaceful, despite everything that was going on around us. I felt alive, in that short eternal embrace. It was truly magical, the connection we had.

Then something occurred to me. Peso never talked about his past, his life before he became an Octonaut. Did he have something to hide? Something he didn't want me to know?

I let the thoughts leave my mind. Peso didn't have anything to hide... right?

isobeljones2000

Barnacles' POV: We made quick progress moving through the abandoned streets of Windfell, all of us trying not to breathe too heavily in case of the virus still being dormant in the air. Oh God, I hoped none of my crew had this virus. We didn't need any further complications. This situation was spiralling out of control as it was.

We reached the two Gups we had come in: the Gup A and the Gup E. "It's going to be a pretty tight squeeze, but I think we can all get in," I said hopefully.

Peso and Kate went in the Gup E with Elena and her family, who understandably refused to be split up, while Selene, Shellington and I went in the Gup A. We pulled away from the eerie island, and I couldn't help feeling a tension that I hadn't known was there fall away from my shoulders. It maybe used to be a happy place, but the work of just four people had poisoned it.

Shellington retreated to the back of the Gup and lapsed into moody silence. I knew he was blaming Dani for letting Dashi back into the hands of the psychos, but there was nothing I could say right now.

Selene joined me at the wheel, standing close to me. I felt her long white fur tickle my arm. It was a mode of comfort, and it helped both of us. I remembered what I had asked her in the police station, but when I looked at her face I knew she wasn't in the mood for delving into memories. I let it go for now. It wasn't important. For now, being there and next to each other, with no one chasing us or trying to kill us, was enough. On impulse, I bent down and quickly kissed her, jolting Selene out of her reverie. I wondered if she was thinking about her memories. Right now I think we all were.

Selene looked slightly amused when I pulled away, turning back to the driving. "What was that for?"

"Do I need a reason?" I replied simply. "You're beautiful."

"Well I know that," Selene answered promptly, but with a joking smile. "Now don't crash us just because you were feeling sentimental."

"Yes ma'am," I answered with a smile. Same old Selene.