Chapter 16) Appointing A Captain

KateSeleneMelody3OCS

Tunip's POV: Rage began to flow through my limbs as I walked through the thick fog, and I didn't think the rage was Shellington's. It felt like the fury is directed at family. Brother, sister, parents.

I continued to run through the fog, until I saw the familiar blue dress that belongs to Selene, her white fur glowing like a beacon in the heavy condensation.

She looked up, and our eyes met. What's going on? Are you alright? I thought. She shook her head.

No, I'm not. I heard her voice speaking, echoing in my mind. All this time... they've been alive and well. All this time...

Unfamiliar voices spoke in my mind, though I knew that they were familiar to Selene. I also knew that she had spoken to me with her thoughts.

I nodded, trying not to look too excited. We backtraced my path to get to the rest of our group. As soon as Captain Barnacles saw his girlfriend, he smiled, then frowned, asking if she was alright.

"I'm fine. Nothing to worry about." The Captain didn't question it, but I could tell that we both knew that something had happened. But we all also knew that that wasn't the most important thing right now.

isobeljones2000

Tweak's POV: I was fighting hard to keep a detached view on the situation as I read reluctantly through Damien's file, although really all I felt like doing was screaming and avenging all those innocent Windfell citizens that had become victims of Damien's wrath over the years. So many people, so many families had suffered because of one man, and when he teamed up with Fiona and Lupo after a couple of years - they were unstoppable and devastating. With the addition of Lupo being an excellent inventor - a trait I hated to have to admire him for - and Fiona very brutal and cold, they were a ruthless crew.

But we escaped them. That was all that mattered, and although it wasn't over yet, that small fact gave me hope. We escaped the most brutal murdering team known, and we could do it again.

As I idly read through the death toll, trying not to think about who had been killed and who their death would have affected - friends? Family? Children? - I suddenly came across two names that automatically made me stiffen up and want to cry out.

Maegan and Jonathon Cat.

Kate and Kwazii's parents.

Although I already knew about it, I couldn't help but feel a burst of emotion at just seeing their names on the page in black and white. I was suddenly glad that Kwazii wasn't here.

I scrolled past the rest of the names, unable to bear any more, and went down to hideouts, which I knew was our best bet at finding the villains and where they had our friends.

KateSeleneMelody3OCS

Kate's POV: God, I was starving. I found it weird that I was, though. I had eaten back at the Octopod less then an hour ago. But to be honest, I had been hungry a lot for the last week or so. And I could usually do without a lot of food.

My stomach grumbled, betraying me. Kwazii looked at me, a amused gleam in his eyes. "You're hungry again, Kate?" I laughed.

"Apparently so." I replied with a chuckle. Kwazii rolled his eyes, and we continued along our way through the fog.

Man, vanilla kelp pudding would taste so good right now. Or kelp cakes. Or fish biscuits, or ice cream, or pickles... wait. Pickles? I didn't normally like pickles.

Just then, I felt something weird. Like something in my gut was trying to make itself known. It almost felt like... a kick.

I did all I could not to stop in my tracks, because that would alert Kwazii. No. That couldn't be right.

I placed a paw on my stomach, and my suspicions were soon confirmed as I felt another kick.

Oh god oh god oh god....

I couldn't be pregnant.

Not now.

Not when everything was spiraling out of control!

What would Peso and Kwazii think?

They would most likely hate me.

Besides, we had enough to worry about without me expecting a child.

I couldn't tell them.

I had to keep it hidden.

I repeated all of these thoughts in my mind, like a mantra. No one could know. We had enough to worry about already.

isobeljones2000

Barnacles' POV: We continued into the fog, not really knowing where we're heading any more. Beside me Selene's eyes were lowered, and her brow was furrowed in thought. I knew better than to ask her what was wrong, but I felt that I needed to help her. So I told her what had been preying on my mind all day - for a few days now, actually.

"Selene?" I began slightly cautiously.

The beautiful white wolf cast her serious gaze to meet mine. Her expression was unreadable, but she managed a weary smile. "Yes, Captain?"

"I wanted to ask you -" My voice faltered and I coughed a little, my subconscious apparently wanting to delay asking the question. Maybe I was scared of her answer.

Selene looked amused and exasperated at the same time. "God, Barnacles, spit it out!"

I tried to relax and quickly asked her the question waiting on my lips. "Would you like to be co-captain with me?"

Shock and surprise were the first emotions that registered on her impassive features, and for a interminable moment I feared the reply.

Then my girlfriend smiled, a real genuine smile this time, one that I hadn't seen grace her lips for a long time. "Barnacles, I'd love to. But are you sure?"

"I've never been surer," I told her confidently. "The crew already see you as a co-captain figure. It only made sense to officially appoint you the role. And - I can't do this alone any more."

"Well, I guess I accept," she said. "Does this mean I get a captain's hat?"

I smiled. "I'm sure this can be arranged."

KateSeleneMelody3OCS

Shellington's POV: I knew I was getting close. I could feel it. The fog kept getting thicker and thicker. I coughed slightly as some of it got into my lungs. But that wasn't important.

Dashi was all that mattered to me. To help her, I needed to get Dani and the Memory Flame together. But first, I had to get both Dani and the Memory Flame.

I had to fix this.

For once, I was following my instincts instead of facts. I came up to what appeared to be a long abandoned luxury hotel, and I instantly knew that Dani was in there.

Christian was probably in there, and the psychos too. I gripped the pipe tighter at the thought. I was terrified. I couldn't believe I was actually doing this.

I gripped the door to the hotel and it opened easily. This was definitely the right place. I inhaled deeply, and entered.

I'm coming, Dashi.