Chapter 48 - Past Token

Elena's POV

The showerhead launched the hot water through, hitting my body with a therapeutic rush of calmness. I sighed, letting the water run over me as my muscles relaxed and took in the tonic treatment.

It's been two weeks since Papà woke from his surgery, two weeks since I reconciled with Angelo, and two weeks since he became my fiancé. Fiancé... It doesn't feel real saying that word.

I've been spending my days at the hospital with Mamma, tending to Papà and attempting at keeping him at bay with his excessive need to keep busy. Niccolo has been in between the warehouse, running everything, and the hospital too. My nights are spent here, with Angelo. No one has questioned my absence, yet I haven't revealed my current news to anyone. I need to make sure Papà is well and able before throwing another bomb on them all, no matter how much I hope for it to be a jubilant explosion.

A smile crept upon my lips as I felt his arms wrap around my waist from behind. His hand gripped onto my hip, squeezing as he kissed along my shoulder. I tilted my neck to the side, feeling him reaching the crook of it before finally planting an open-mouthed touch upon my skin as the water hit both of us.

"I'm starting to feel like your dirty little secret, Amore (love). You spend the night with me, wake up at the crack of dawn, have a quick shower then leave. Most of the times I'm still asleep upon your departure." He uttered deeply against my skin, kissing his way up my neck.

"Hmmm..." I hummed into a giggle, twirling around in his arms to face him.

"It's about time you men took a dose of your own medicine," I joked sassily, erupting a loud chuckle from him.

"I'm just trying to keep my father as a priority for now. I need to know his heart is strong enough before I reveal any more information, being the cause of yet another heart attack." I mumbled, lowering my gaze between us. He quickly halted my movements, bringing my gaze to meet his once more.

"Hey, don't do that! Your father's heart attack was not your fault, to begin with. His line of work is exceptionally stressful as it is. Mix that with a lack of health care, it's a dangerous cocktail. Trust me, I know, Amore (love)." He rebutted, stroking his fingers upon my cheek. I gave him a soft smile, grabbing onto his hand and pressing it against my face.

"He might be released today. If that's the case..." I trailed off hesitantly.

"It might be a while before I get to hold or see you again." He finished my train of thought. "I know, Amore (love)."

"I'm sorry," I mumbled. "I just need to help my mother with taking care-"

"You have nothing to apologize for or explain to me, Elena. Absolutely nothing." He cut me off, placing his finger on my lips. I gave him a grateful and appreciative smile in response.

"My mother will probably organize a lunch at some point and, trusting her, she will invite you along. Can we keep things a little tame, for now? Give off the idea that things are good between us, but not hinting at how good?" I asked him apprehensively, pulling back slightly.

"Oh, so, I am your dirty little secret!" He blurted amusedly, grabbing my hips and pulling me closer to him causing me to titter some more.

"I think we are way past you being a secret, Babe." I raised a brow at him. "But, on a serious note, I just want to make sure he is ok," I told him, tears slowly filling my eyes before I managed to grab control over them.

"Hey, hey, hey..." He spoke repetitively, grabbing my face in the palm of his hands. "I'm only teasing you, Amore (love). We will do this at your pace, as and when you want it. It's your choice and I'm not going anywhere."