Chapter 36 - Rescue

Elena's POV

My body shivered in the corner of the damp and dreary cell. I was so worn out, jumping in and out of consciousness for the past couple of hours from the drugs they administered to get me onto the plane. Covered in cuts and bruises, I've been limping with the suspicion that my ankle is fractured from the way they manhandled me along the way, tripping and twisting it in the process of being shoved around. I received a beating back in Sicily and I know I should have just kept quiet, but sometimes my tongue has a mind of its own when cornered by some perverted misogynistic prick. Thankfully the man who assaulted me stayed behind.  The one leading this little group was the same one that abducted me from Angelo's penthouse.

I winced in pain as my shifting caused the chains around my wrists to pinch and excoriate the already abraded sections of my skin. One of the men was permanently left in the cell with me and my wailing caught his attention, causing him to smirk.

"I need to pee," I told him, grabbing his gaze with mine.

"So, pee." He replied.

"Seriously? Ugh..." I was beyond annoyed at this point. They treated me like some wild animal, inhumanely sealing their own damn fate.

Suddenly, the door swung open abruptly, slamming against the stone wall and startling both of us. The man inside the cell with me stood instantaneously with widened eyes and his hand upon his gun that was poking out the back of his jeans.

"Get the bitch ready to leave. We need to move, now! I'm not receiving any feedback from Dima or Kolya in the front of the building and Vinny's silence is making me nervous. Wait for my signal." With that, he disappeared, leaving the door open.

While he spoke, I managed to slowly lift myself along the wall into a standing position. I took a few deep breathes to gather the rest of my energy. The man's back was towards me as he gathered up his cellular phone, keys, newspaper, and jacket. If their men's silence means that someone is here for me, I need to slow these bastards down.

Taking a wide step forward, I took advantage of his distraction and reached over, promptly grabbing his gun and pulling it out of his jeans. I took a couple of steps to the side, holding the gun in front of me and aimed it directly at him as he swung around in pure shock. I cocked the gun then realigned it.

"Look, I don't want to hurt you." I began.

"Really? Because I want to hurt you! You won't pull the trigger, little girl!" He interjected before lunging for me.

My instincts kicked in and I pulled the trigger, instantly firing the gun. The miniature explosion went off in the barrel of the firearm and I watched as the bullet flew right through his neck. Blood splattered around us, his whole body halting upon the impact. He went limp and sunk to the floor as my mind arrived at the realization that I had just killed someone.

The firearm began lowering slowly while my eyes closed and I began lecturing myself to pull it together. I couldn't wallow in this occurrence at the moment. I needed to survive first and foremost. I took short and heavy steps around his body, reaching down to pick up the keys he had dropped while my eyes stared at his lifeless body. Grabbing the keys, I scrambled to try to unlock the chains around my wrists with one hand while the other held the gun firmly.

The instant the chains landed upon the concrete ground, I heard running footsteps growing louder in my direction. I took the appropriate stance, aiming the firearm towards the doorway just as their leader appeared. He took one look at his buddy dead by my feet before glaring at me in sheer hatred. His hand began reaching behind his back and before I could process any of it, my finger pulled on the trigger once more. The bullet entered his upper thigh, rendering him to the floor while bellowing in pain.