Chapter 38 - Fixing Mistakes

Elena's POV

Hearing the footsteps growing closer from the corridor, I quickly turned over in the bed. My back was now placed towards the door as I pulled up the plush duvet to partially cover my face. I heard the door latch click open before someone shuffled through. If my assumptions were correct, it's probably Sierra. She comes in here the most while my brother stands outside the room to listen. I know he's there and I hear him whispering to her before she enters and when she exits.

Two weeks have passed since walking out of the hospital. Since I last spoke to my father. Since I last saw or felt Angelo. Since the day he walked away, giving up on us like I was some noxious drug. Niccolo and Sierra have done so much for me since then, trying to give me space while still keeping an eye over me. Nico has kept our father away; for once, listening to me instead of him. Each day our father has tried, each day Niccolo has asked me, and each day he leaves without a second thought or word.

As expected, Sierra came around to the side of the bed. She sat down beside me, fiddling with the cellular phone in her hands.

"Elle, I bought fresh groceries yesterday. I was wondering if you wanted to, maybe, help me with breakfast? Your brother says you can cook one amazing omelet." She tried. I knew what they were doing, but my body was replicating the state of my heart at this point.

Without looking at her, I shook my head gently while gripping onto the covers tighter. I heard her sigh deeply in defeat.

"Well, as expected, your father has asked Nico if he can come by." She continued.

"No. I don't want to see him." The only words I've actually spoken in this house since arriving. The only words I've articulated to make it abundantly clear, with no room for confusion.

"Ok, love." She replied, causing the breath in my throat to entrap itself mid-inhale.

"Please, don't call me that." I quickly mumbled.

"Oh." She shifted slightly before laying down beside me with her face facing mine.

"I'm sorry, Elle, I didn't know."

"I didn't expect you to know. It's ok."

She nodded her head softly and remained before me in silence. I avoided eye contact, moving my gaze to her shoulder. Suddenly, she lifted her hand, edging closer to my face before benevolently pressing the tip of her index finger against the tip of my nose.

"Boop." She whispered.

My brows knitted together prominently as my head lifted a bit off the pillow. What the fuck was that?

I watched her cheeks fill with color as she giggled softly.

"Sorry. That was a force of habit. It's something that we do with Lucy, especially when she is upset. It usually makes her giggle and now it's become a thing in this house." She explained. "I didn't think that one through."

I continued watching her as her face contorted awkwardly, her eyes glancing down at her fingers. I slowly began giggling while shaking my head. The sound of my laughter caught her attention and she peeked up at me in shock.

"I'm sorry. I cannot..." I tried before the giggles grew into chuckles.

"I cannot picture my brother 'booping' anyone. His tough and rough demeanor delicately tapping a nose?" My chuckles then erupted into a peal of deep laughter as I shifted onto my back.

Her chuckling joined with mine as we struggled to calm ourselves, feeding off one another.

"He actually started it." She noted.