04

[LEVI]

We have been studying about History today for the past two hours and it was actually one of Erwin's favourite subjects. Apparently, thousands and thousands of years ago, humans were fighting titans to survive. It sounded like a made up fairytale shits but unfortunately it was true.

Erwin also told me that his father named him after the 13th Commander of the Survey Corps. To be very honest, they looked pretty identical except, the commander had a bushy moustache and was very old. Between the lesson, Erwin tried to crack up some unfunny jokes and I just had to laugh over how bad it were.

Who knew a nerdy like him can perform dad jokes.

***

"I think we should take a break. It's getting kinda cold." I commented. The weather outside has gotten freezy. The frigid air coming from an open window penetrated my skin, chilling my blood. I'm not a huge fan of Autumn, especially when the season is next to Winter.

"I'll make us some hot chocolate." Erwin said, noticing my slight shivers. He closed his books and got up cautiously. He went straight to the kitchen, leaving me in the dining room.

I looked around the room awkwardly, not used being left alone in someone else's house. Thus, I reached for my sketch book inside of my bag and searched for a blank page. The book is almost entirely full but I managed to find a space.

I let my hand scribbled at the paper, it's almost like my mind directing it without me. I don't know what, perhaps I just imagine it, but drawing gives me a peace and mental calmness that I can't find another way.

When I finished the piece, my eyes went wide.

"Here." A deep voice frighten me from my impassioned imagination. I clumsily tried to hide the drawing by stuffing the book back in my bag as Erwin put down a cup of hot chocolate in front of me with a faint smile.

I unsuccessfully attempt to hide my flustered face but I was just making it more obvious. Once I saw that Erwin had sat back down, I picked up the mug shakily and took a sip of the hot chocolate, hoping it would ease my wildly beating heart.

It tasted dark, rich and coated my tongue thickly before flowing down my throat. The top swirled with white milk foam and spotted with cocoa powder. For some moments, I just wrapped my hands around the ceramic mug, letting the warmth spread through my fingers, banishing the shivering cold.

"It's nice." I complimented with a forced serene voice. The sweetness satisfied my craving. I felt like Erwin was judging by the way I hold the mug though. But thank god, the feeling of embarrassment just now victoriously disappeared. As long as Erwin doesn't bring it up.

"I see you were sketching something. I really like your art style."

Ahahaha. Fuck.

Erwin put down the mug with a clink to the table and glanced over after I was unresponsive for a little while. I looked away, failing to suppress a small laugh.

I scoffed lightly. "It was nothing. Just my coping mechanism." I took a bigger sip this time and let the warm liquid sat on my tongue for a while longer.

"Have you considered joining art school next year?" Erwin asked.

I raised my eyebrows at him and swallowed the thick chocolate down my throat. The burning sensation made me hiss as I fixed my sitting position before answering.

"I'm planning on to but I needed to ask my uncle first. Art isn't really his cup of tea."

Erwin nodded. He stirred the drink a little with a spoon before taking another sip. When he put it down, there were a little foam forming on his top lips like a moustache, making him looked like the commander in the History book.

I pursed my lips tightly, praying so that I won't let out an ugly laughter. I really want to keep it professional whenever I am with Erwin so that maybe, he doesn't give a bad impression for me. As a friend.

He wiped the remaining foam from his mouth with a tissue and glared at me. My eyes dilated with horror and I froze at my place but my mouth was trembling to let out a cackle.

"You're allowed to laugh." He assured.

And with that, I tipped my head back and roared with laughter that I thought I would never showed it to anyone in my life. At least, not to Erwin. I could feel from deep inside my chest came a great shaking motion and my face muscles grew tight. My belly hurts and I watched Erwin with my almost teary-eyed that his arms were folding on his chest, eyebrows arched, waiting for me to stop.

I saw that he wanted to stay a straight-faced, fighting a smile. But before he could stop himself, his poker straight mouth twitched upwards and he was chuckling despite himself.

My laughing started to fade away after the sight of Erwin's laugh. It wasn't an actual laugh, but more into smiling while letting out a breath. However, his smile was very contagious. I had to turn my head to the side to avert his gaze, but the sudden rosiness of my cheeks gave it away.

The way his eyes lighten. The way his teeth were perfectly aligned. The warm glow his happiness gave. It was perfect. His laughter was so free and pure, so childish despite him being a seventeen year old student with a middle-aged man personality. It came to my ears as a tickle and bounce, making me sneered silently before coming to a full stop.

"Your ears are so red, Levi." Erwin mentioned sheepishly. I rolled my eyes, pretending as if I was not interested at him whatsoever. But that comment made me look down at the floor.

"Shut up! I'm cold." I lied and thought of something to steer the topic away effortlessly. "So, Erwin. Tell me about you."

Good one, Levi.

"There's not really much to talk about."

"Well, I know for a fact that you like making terrible dad jokes." I teased playfully, causing him to smirk in a subtle way.

"Okay, let's see..." he trailed off.

***

And as hours went by, it became the best conversation I've ever had too, it flowed with listening and brilliant responses. I guessed that's what happened if you met someone who understood you.

"It's getting late, I should go home." I said and Erwin agreed. He helped me with my things and walked towards me to the exit. I turned to look at him, savouring the taste of the hot chocolate that he made and all the heart to heart discussion that we were having.

"Thank you, smartypants. I had fun. Keep coming up with the dad jokes." I said with an expressionless face and stepped out into the cold evening. Erwin wished me a safe journey and closed the door behind him after I was further enough from his sight.

By the time I got home, night had fallen and enveloped the neighbourhood area in a blanket of darkness. I scurried down the path towards my house, my shoes slapping against the stone that led to my front door.

Fallen leaves littered the walkway, bathing in it dark red and orange, and I stepped on them with a satisfying crunch. The metal doorknob was cool against my palm and I twisted it with ease, entering the ghost-quiet living room.

Kenny probably went out drinking again I supposed. He left a note saying, "grab yourself some food" on the counter top at the kitchen with a few dollar notes.

I lost my appetite so I'm skipping dinner. I grabbed the money and went upstairs to my bedroom. I took a quick shower and changed into my sleeping attire. Then, I jumped onto my bed and get comfortable.

I sighed heavily and closed my eyes, letting my mind wandered off to Erwin. It was odd for me to make a connection so fast to give him trust so easily, tentative though it was. There was something in the way he smiled, a warmth, a genuineness, a softness of spirit I just couldn't pass up.

He listened to me like no one ever did, and in his words were kindness, for him it was so natural. The more time I spent with him, the more my spirit lifted.

He's the new friend I'd needed for so long.

***

[word count: 1430]