Chapter 9

August 13th, 2047

6 P.M.

Rialto, Italy

Catherine peacefully sat on the edge of the stone pathway, gazing at the blue canal beneath her feet, the water ebbing and flowing calmly along past the hooded, roughed-up teenager. Her hidden eyes calmly observed the reflection that met her watchful gaze with unease. She didn't intend to be snuck up on by Thorn soldiers, not when she knew they were likely searching for her. She reached up and brushed her sopping hair, brown from the wetness, away from her face and behind her hood. The drenched strands brushed the scars that littered her fingers, and she sighed and pulled them away again.

I hate the side effect of that, she thought with exasperation as she shook out her now-wet fingerless-gloved hand. It makes it really annoying to try and hide it. She quietly stood, keeping her weight on her right leg, and turned, gazing into the streets of Rialto with relaxed, hidden eyes. Her acute gaze scanned the faces and figures racing back and forth like bees in front of her, mainly watching for the now-familiar forms of Thorn soldiers. Once she was positive the coast was clear, Catherine strolled from the alleyway after she'd ordered her body to be relaxed, her veiled eyes trailing along the gorgeous scenery of the Italian city as if she were a tourist.

Catherine looked up at the slowly-darkening sky, a pretty blue similar to aquamarine, with tints of red and orange as the sun started to set. She let out a small sigh, sliding her hands into her pockets while continuing. She peered back down at the people around her and nearly walked directly into a young woman. "Shit- sorry!" she said hastily as her surprised gaze scanned the person she'd almost knocked over. She was certainly Mexican, with dusky skin and deep eyes. She stood a few inches shorter than Catherine, who had to look down at her slightly. Half her hair was shaved, and Catherine thought she could see armor that Thorn soldiers usually wear on her.

Frightened, Catherine kept her hidden gaze trained on the possible Thorn agent while she spoke with a thick Mexican accent. "Ah, it's no big deal," she told her calmly, her brown eyes studying the pale, scrawny lady before her. "Mistakes happen."

Comforted that the woman didn't seem to know who she was, Catherine smiled politely. "Yeah," she agreed, hands in her pockets. "So, what's your name?"

"Hora," the possible Thorn agent told Catherine. "And you?"

"C," Catherine said politely. "You have a very interesting name," she commented while reaching up and tugging her hood down slightly. "I heard on the news that some places were getting hacked by a hacker with that name."

Not to her surprise, Hora blinked at her. "You certainly know your stuff. Well, yeah, that's me," she said, a little baffled that Catherine would care about stuff like that. "Why do you mention it?"

She shrugged. "Just thought of it, then. It's pretty cool to be talking to a professional hacker face-to-face like this."

"Really? I thought most people would've been horrified," Hora said while adjusting something on her hand.

"I'm learning to code and other things along those lines," Catherine lied skillfully. "I've always wished I could've talked to a great hacker. They're so good at what they do, usually!" she complimented, smiling like an excitable child to seal the deal.

Hora studied her again, a little bit weirded out. Catherine didn't blame her; most wouldn't be excited to meet a hacker, after all. "Why do I get the feeling you're learning to do more than just code?" she asked, hand at her side. "It just seems weird that you'd be so eager to talk to me; Thorn did just have that little hacker and thief incident..." she trailed off, then blinked and stared at her when Catherine spoke again.