Chapter 6

August 7th, 2047

12:17 P.M.

Overshadow H.Q.

Creon speed-walked through the hallways of the headquarters, looking around with the files under his arm. Sunlight flowed through the windows and made the corridors glimmer with a silver light. Agents were calmly walking through the halls, casting intrigued and confused glances at Creon as he sprinted by them. He passed by a courtyard quickly, hardly noticing the laughter of the agents hanging out there. He sprinted down the hallway and turned a corner, barely dodging around Blackshadow Commander Gavin Reis, who glared at his agent.

"Creon, what the hell are you doing?" He snapped irritably. "And what are you carrying?"

"Where's Commander Morris?" Creon asked urgently, sliding to a halt but hopping from foot to foot. "I need to talk to both of you!"

Blinking, Gavin followed behind Creon as he dashed down the office hallway, quickly reading the nameplates of the rooms. He skidded to a stop in front of the door with "Commander Morris" above it. He looked at Gavin nervously. "Is he in there?"

Gavin nodded. "I would think so. He tends to stay in there so he isn't bothered," he told Creon. "Now, can you please explain what those files are?"

Creon opened his mouth to reply but was cut off as a tall, pale-skinned man with blonde hair and brown eyes stepped out of the office, looking at both of them with a bewildered and annoyed gaze. "What are you two yelling about out here?" he asked.

Creon stepped back in trepidation, glancing at Gavin. His dark hair was hidden beneath a black beanie, and his outfit had a similar appearance to Creon's. His deep brown eyes glared at his agent. "Apparently he needs to talk to us, Morris. He has these files with him but I have no clue where he got them or what they're about," he told him.

Commander Morris looked at Creon. "Well? What is it?" he demanded of the cowboy.

Creon took a deep breath. "It's better if we discuss this in your office, Strike Commander," he told him with an air of urgency. "I don't know if it's good to let others hear this."

Gavin and Jake exchanged a glance before nodding. "Okay, then. Let's take this into my office," Jake told Creon, who tipped his cowboy hat in a nodding gesture. "It may be better if you're that nervous about whatever it is you're worried about."

Jake and Gavin stepped inside first, with Creon following behind them. His boots silently walked along the polished floor as the cowboy stepped inside the Strike Commander's office. It was painted a pale white color, with birch floors. His desk was dark oak, and a computer sat on it. Jake sat down in his large black chair and motioned for Creon to sit down in the seat in front of him. Gavin stood behind Jake and Creon sat in the vacant seat.

Once they were settled, Creon sighed and set the files on Jake's desk. Jake and Gavin both leaned in and studied the labels on the records. Gavin looked stunned while Jake simply picked the one up marked "Agent Loupe," and began reading. Gavin read over his shoulder, and Creon watched as their faces changed. Gavin's changed from bewilderment to shock and even to anger. Jake's, on the other hand, switched from intrigued to surprised, and eventually, confused. Once done, Jake set down the file and looked at Creon with his tree bark-brown gaze.

"Where did you get all of this information?" he asked bluntly, his hands folded. He was wearing his usual titanium-gray armor and his visor. "I don't believe you have this much ability for hacking, and I doubt you could've stolen all of this in the time you were out."

Creon gulped, and Gavin narrowed his eyes at his agent. "Yes, I'd like to know the same. Lunai might be sneaky as a mouse but it's not often that he leaves here without reason or orders, and we both know Mehira is a geneticist and doesn't typically go out, as well. And you certainly aren't skilled enough to have gotten this without help," Gavin reasoned as his dark eyes narrowed to slits. "So, where, or who, did you get all of this from?"