Chapter 1

August 6th, 2047

3 A.M.

Rialto, Italy

The gentle flow of the blue currents echoed through the presumably empty streets of Rialto. The moonlight gently shone down onto the Italian city, and the boats that usually traversed the canals were docked and still. For any civilian, it was a typical night. No noise, no people in the streets, nothing. Not even an owl was hooting. It may have been typical for any other person, but not for the silent shape currently moving quickly over the rooftops.

The sloping roofs of Rialto, which for any inexperienced parkourist would have made a bit of a challenge to traverse, were easily navigated by the silent form. They were barely visible in the light, but their torn-up hoodie helped make sure that their features were indistinguishable. Their feet, currently donning dark purple sneakers, were silent and experienced in what they were doing, moved deftly across the angled rooftops. The shape's gait was a bit uneven but wouldn't be easily noticed for anyone who wasn't looking hard at them. Coming to the end of the current roof, the form bent their knees and made a powerful leap, landing with a gentle tap on the next roof, which, luckily for the figure, was flat. Slowing to a brisk stroll, the form could be more easily made out. They were wearing a gray hoodie that masked their pale face, torn black pants that looked like they'd been through more than what their damage implied, and fingerless black gloves to match the figure's pants.

The shape smiled once their eyes landed on their target, a simple store that had what appeared to be some breakfast food. Looking closer, it appeared to be open. Muttering an irritated curse that they'd have to actually buy something, the supposed thief adeptly made their way down a gutter running along a wall and reached the ground with a silent thump, putting more weight on their right leg than their left. They calmly went over to the store, bright light illuminating the street in front of it from the windows. Sighing, they opened the door and slid in, the jingle of a bell reaching their ears.

There were shelves and baskets and cases of fruit and baked goods. The floor was a polished wood - spruce, the figure guessed - and the walls were painted a soothing gray color. Behind the checkout counter, which was near a window, was a petite old man who looked to be about fifty with graying hair and polite hazel eyes. The figure strolled through the rows of fruit before grabbing a red apple. To their surprise, the old man began to chat with them in English.

"Ah, hello!" the would-be thief heard from behind the counter in heavily accented English. "I usually don't get customers out this late. What brings you here?"

The would-be thief sighed, having not wanted to talk to anyone, tonight. They spoke in a female's voice, with a mild Western accent. "Just needed a bite. It's been a long day, and let's just say my nights aren't exactly full of sleep," the figure explained while picking up a blueberry muffin. The thief, now known to be a female, went over to the checkout counter, spotting a coffee maker behind the clerk. "Got any coffee? Sorry if it's any trouble," she added quickly, trying to be polite, being a foreigner, "I tend to get a lot of coffee and I haven't had any tonight."

The old man smiled at her politely, going to grab a cup and preparing some for her. "It's no problem at all! I tend to give out a free cup to those who drop by this late if they ask," he told her while she pulled out a wad of bills, tongue slightly stuck out while she peeled off what she'd have to pay. "It's a pleasure to have you here! I'm Lorenzo. And you are?" he asked while handing her the cup of coffee and wrapping up her purchases in a small bag.

The would-be thief smiled kindly back. "I don't really like to give out my name. My apologies," she told him.

Surprisingly, Lorenzo merely smiled. "Ah, it's perfectly alright!" he told her while she passed him the bills. "Most foreigners don't like to give out their name, so I'm used to it. Is there anything else you'd like?" he asked when she began to look around again.