Chapter 42: The Red Letter

Start from the beginning

He looks around as if fearful of us being watched and then whispers;

"E—",

Just before Axcel is about to tell me, a black SUV rushes towards the street where we are sitting and before I know it, Axcel rushes to my side and pushes me under the table. Someone from the SUV blindly fires at us and just like that gone. Oh no!

People standing on the street cower and run fearful of their lives and the street is deserted within seconds. I scream at the top of my lungs as Axcel's body slumps and fall on his side; fear evident in his eyes. I immediately get up as Cade runs towards me, barking orders in his Bluetooth earpiece.

How did he get here so fast! But that train of thought is knocked down as I see the blood on my shirt! Not my blood but Axcel's.

"Axcel, no, please wake up? Listen to me wake up".

Axcel coughs, as he tries hard to breathe, his clothes spattered in blood, I put his head on my lap; and he smiles up at me, his eyes look pained and he whispers:

"Ailey, don't try to save me! Just save yourself, take care of my sister".

"No, Axcel, please, Oh my God!"

"Call 911 Cade! Hurry he is dying for God's sake!"

"Ail- it's my- time to unite with Elaine- you were- just like her- beautiful soul- promise me- you will take care- of- of my sister".

His eyes close and lips part. I feel numb, I nudge him, screaming at him to wake up, Cade pulls me up as the paramedics arrive and check for a pulse, but Axcel is gone! It was too late. The police arrives and ask their typical routinely questions, I answer them.

My tears dry up as the thought of how quickly life can end in front of us hits me full force. What Axcel told me, made me feel like I had hit some form of rock bottom!

If he wasn't the one behind this chaos, and in fact was actually a pawn; then was Evelyn really this manipulative? This was too much. I put my hand inside my pockets which feel cold all of a sudden, thats when I feel something hard and small in between my fingers. Pulling it out its a small pen drive. Axcel! He put it there. It must have some evidence for sure. I turn to look around as an officer walks towards me.

"Mrs. Vittorio, would you like to come down with us to the station, Mr. Axcel's attorney is already on his way".

"Uh yes sure. I need to speak with my bodyguard for just a few minutes".

Fuming I stride towards where Cade is standing.

"How did you find me?!"

"I am sorry Mrs. Vittorio but I followed you here; that was the only way to keep you safe".

"Keep me safe?! What nonsense is this! Look Cade I am not your responsibility! I don't know what Adrian said to you but I don't like being followed/ stalked or asked about my whereabouts! Have I made myself clear".

Four Hours Later

Sleep won't come to me. The shock of today runs down my body in waves. The buzzing of my phone knocks me out of my thoughts and I pick it up to find a frantic Adrian on the other line.