10. You aren't a monster to me.

Max sat in the corner of the tavern. Yen and Jaskier were seated near him, they'd given up trying to talk to him after about fifteen minutes of Max just staring at the table. 

Geralt liked him? If Jaskier was telling the truth, it was quite the odd truth. Max had spent his whole life being told that Witcher's were unfeeling, cold and callous killers who would sooner put him in a grave than love anyone. 

Max didn't quite believe that anymore. 

Geralt, who had taught him how to fish. Geralt who would cuddle Max on cold nights, Geralt who had treated Max so gently and so softly that one night, Geralt who always would look at Max like he'd hung the stars in the sky. 

Max frowned, picking at the table before he heard a very familiar grunt and then Geralt was beside him. 

"What happened?" The Witcher asked and Max hesitated but thankfully, Jaskier had him covered, 

"Some witch cursed you and you became all doglike, wouldn't move from Max's side" 

Geralt seemed to turn red, yellow eyes glancing at Max who didn't quite meet his eye, 

"Sorry about that" 

"...Don't worry, I didn't mind" Max said softly and Geralt nodded, Yen cleared her throat, Geralt looking over and nodding, 

"Right...thank you Yen" Geralt grunted and Yen hummed. 

"Suppose that's the best I'm getting...now then, I would like to accompany you on your little adventure" 

"Yen-" 

"No buts Geralt" She said firmly and Max made a soft giggle. 

"...Fine" Geralt said and looked at Max, his blush returning to his cheeks, 

"You...okay?" 

"I'm okay" Max said, smiling softly at Geralt who nodded, grunting though Max had come to expect that sort of response from Geralt. 

~!~!~!~

The four set out on the path again, Geralt leading Roach ahead while Jaskier strummed at his lute. Yen and Max walking behind. 

"You know the reputation Witcher's have yes?" Yen asked, looking down at Max and Max nodded, 

"Well...yes, my father has drilled it into my head quite well" 

"Hm..." Yen said, looking ahead again, "So you know about them?" 

"To a degree" Max said, biting his lip, "does Geralt like me?" 

"Perhaps" Yen said, her lips twitching, "why? Do you like him?" 

Max blushed and did not respond. Yen chuckled, 

"Well...he is a rather nice man" 

"...He is" Max said softly and he fell silent. Rethinking everything he'd been told.