chapter 60

The story was about to end and it frightened him.

Kyung had seen the portals open up in multiple places recently. He stared at them, hoping to catch more than a glimpse of the past but to no avail. He wanted to know more about himself because he felt lost and alone. All he had left now were the few happy memories of the times he had spent with Yeonha and the others. He doubted whether they were enough to weigh against the bad ones because so far, they weren't helping.

Dohwa had come looking for him, saying that there was a chance that Yeonha remembered him. But how could Kyung tell him that he hated himself so much that he couldn't face her? The image of him pointing a sword at her was seared into his brain. It haunted his every waking moment.

"It's for the best," He patted Dohwa's shoulder as he brushed past him, "You're the better person for her to have her happy ending with."

He was ashamed to stand in front of Bom and Taek as well.

When Haru had confronted him for his past crimes, Kyung had nothing to say in his defense.

I should pay for everything I have done.

But the story was about to end and it scared him like never before. He might never see Yeonha again. He might not be able to touch her or even hear her voice. And that made him even more miserable because, while he believed that he deserved to be punished, he didn't want to exist in a world without her.

◆◆◆

Sagak.

Dohwa was walking her to school, one hand holding hers while the other holding his violin case. Yeonha waited to hear that noise again. They made it to the campus grounds when the sound ran through her ears.

Sagak.

Yeonha stumbled away from Dohwa in confusion, startling him. "I don't like you, do I?" She asked.

A small, sad smile began to form on his face as he shook his head, "No, Yeonha. You don't. Have you talked to Baek Kyung like I told you to?"

"I—I haven't. I can't." The anxiety rose in her chest, "I don't understand it myself, Dohwa. I don't know how or why he means so much to me when all I can recall is him being my friend's fiance. And..." She looked down at her feet, "It doesn't help that he keeps running away every time I'm near him."

"Yeah, that's frustrating for me too." He mumbled. "But it's good, isn't it? That you're becoming you again?"

"If only there was a way we could speed up the process." She complained, "I've tried to write things down but everything keeps disappearing. My memory is full of blanks, and no matter how many times you tell me something, I always...forget."