chapter 12

"Baby shark do do do do do do― "

Yeonha huffed and turned around to face a scared Dohwa, who winced at the slightest noise, "Yah, stop it. Your singing is more scary than this damned forest."

At the rustling of the leaves, the boy let out a whine and hurried over to Yeonha, clinging to her arm. "The song distracts me, Yeonha. Ah, what was I thinking? This is so scary. I want to go back to my room."

"Then sing something else." She shined the torch in front of them, "Baby Shark stopped being a distraction the moment you started singing it."

Dohwa was quiet for a while before he started humming again, "There ain't any better than me for youhey boy don't wish for more of me  my boy  your heart lies are like bubbles," He wobbled a little, looking up at the dark canopy of trees, "Bubble bubble...bubble pop."

"Oh, for the love of..."

On Stage, Yeonha had pretended to be scared so that she and Dohwa could hold hands. Which they did, much to her annoyance. Stage Dohwa also confessed that he was glad that they were friends and that they were together in the forest. It was a turning point in their relationship according to the Writer. However, once they were in Shadow, the two trudged through the darkness in awkward silence until Dohwa started singing in a hushed voice. He sang songs by EXID, AOA, and a few other girl groups Yeonha didn't know the name of in a painfully slow tempo.

This was by far the most annoying thing Yeonha had ever experienced. They kept going on and off Stage, stumbling into each other in the dark and uncomfortably holding hands to keep steady. After a point, they gave up on apologizing to each other.

The grip on Yeonha's bicep tightened as Dohwa forced her to stop. He pointed his torch on a bush in front of them, "Did―did you hear that?"

"There's nothing there, Dohwa." Lies. She had heard footsteps and breaking of twigs but she couldn't scare her friend by admitting it.

"I'm just gonna hold your hand in a non-romantic way so that it eases my frightened heart."

"...Sure. I think we're almost there, anyway."

They passed by the bush, giving it a suspicious glance. Dohwa froze again, and then slowly turned around.

A pale face with raccoon like eyes stared back at him. The human-like figure was dressed in black from head to toe. It smiled widely as Dohwa let out a whimper. Even Yeonha felt her toes grow cold. As the figure took a step forward, Dohwa backtracked.

Letting out the largest scream Yeonha had ever heard, Dohwa grabbed her hand and ran like the wind. They tripped over their feet but the boy would not stop.

"Oh, god. It's the devil. Yeonha, it's the Devil. We're gonna die we're gonna die we're gonna d―"

Yeonha yelled back at him, trying to keep up, "Yah, we're not going to die! Look, I can see the camp site."