chapter 22

Even when she had regained control of her body, she wasn't dead. The pain from the multiple slashes on her body had begun to numb. With the amount of blood that she had lost, Yeonha was surprised that she was still breathing. It wasn't possible. Why wasn't she dead?

'How long do I have to lie here,' She stared up at the forest ceiling, barely realizing that the sky was blank, 'How long do I have to lay under this emptiness?' One arm rested on her stomach while the other was spread over the dirt.

How long had it been since they flung her in the middle of the dark forest? Did the King know? Did Jung know? Harushe couldn't leave Haru!

But at this point, Yeonha could barely move. Her body felt colder. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't move or feel a thing, even the thorns that pricked her side.

'What do I do to die a little quicker?'

The rustling of leaves and breaking of twigs caught her attention. Who would come to visit a dying physician in the dead of the night?

"Yeonha. Han Yeonha!"

The woman could only let out the lightest of laughs. With a lamp in hand, the Second Prince was scouring the area. She could barely see him from where she was lying.

When the Prince spotted her, he wasted no time in rushing towards her. Setting the lamp aside, he knelt on both knees, hesitant to touch her.

"Why..." Her weak voice startled him. The light illuminated his horrified expression. It was then that Yeonha noticed the dried trail of tears on his face. It broke her heart. "You shouldn't...be here." Please, don't cry.

As if something collapsed inside him, the Prince, with a foreign gentleness, picked her by the waist to hold her close. She heard a sob.

"I apologize for everything." He pressed her close, "Youyou are in pain because of me. Please"

"I...hardly feel anything now." She struggled to speak, coughing in between, "You - you couldn't...help it. I" Don't speak.

Prince Kyung touched his forehead against hers, "I never wanted this. Any of this. I said and did things I never meant. For the past few days, all I wanted was to run to you. Only you. But, I" He inhaled and steadied himself, "You and Haru have always been by my side. How could I ever I'll take you to Jung. He'll heal you. If youif you're still breathing that means you can be saved. I " No, I cannot be saved.

Her weak hand gripped the sleeve of his robes, "My...story ends...here. Forgive me...for leaving you."

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." The man begged, openly sobbing, "Please ―please do not leave me. You are all that mattered to me, Han Yeonha. It has always been you. I would not have survived if it weren't for you. Please, I'll do anything. Do not leave me."