chapter 54

Bom was sitting close to Soohyang, showing her the pictures from the previous day

Bom was sitting close to Soohyang, showing her the pictures from the previous day. To say that Yeonha was surprised would be an understatement. Hadn't Bom sworn to keep her distance from the new girl? She must've changed her mind, Yeonha thought as she entered the classroom, good for her.

She waved them good morning and just as she put her schoolbag down on her table, pain shot through her chest. Yeonha gasped loudly, clutching the area, using her chair for support. It caught Bom's attention immediately. Soohyang turned her curious gaze towards her as well.

"I feel a little sick," Yeonha brushed it off, "I took some medicine so don't worry. I'm fine."

Ten minutes later, she found herself throwing up her guts in the ladies' toilet. She didn't know whether it was because of the godawful antidote-thing or because of the extremity of pain she was feeling. When Yeonha finally emerged from the stall, Kim Aeil was leaning against the large bathroom sink, looking in her direction with an expression of severe disgust.

"What's wrong with you?" She asked, lip curling. "You look like you belong in the hospital."

"What's wrong with you?" Yeonha replied, though it sounded like a wheeze, "You look like your pores are leaking."

She scoffed, gesturing at her face, "It's called a 'dewy look'." Then, while hiding her nervousness, Aeil asked, "Does it really look that terrible?"

"I mean...you could...tone it down a little. I could do it for you, if you'd like." Yeonha offered. When Aeil narrowed her eyes suspiciously at her, she sighed, "I'm not going to make it worse, if that's what you're worried about. I don't have anything against you." Except, you know, your obsession with my boyfriend.

Aeil finally agreed after a moment of consideration. "Don't screw this up." She said, pushing forward her makeup kit over the flat surface by the sink.

Yeonha rolled her eyes.

It was a good distraction from the stinging in her chest that refused to subside any time soon. Yeonha was done in a very short amount of time. She made Aeil turn towards the mirror to see for herself. The girl couldn't keep herself from looking impressed.

"I told you." Yeonha grinned.

"Yeah, I mean," She shrugged, "Thanks...or whatever."

They stared at each other in the awkward silence, not knowing what to say. Yeonha had never spoken to Kim Aeil after middle school when the other girls had suddenly discovered the male human species. She had become the someone they disliked and were all envious of overnight. Aeil was no different. This was the longest they had been around each other.

The other girl stepped away first, "I need to go back."

"Yeah, okay." Yeonha nodded

Aeil gathered her things and began to walk out the door, "Alright. I guess I'll...see you around, Han Yeonha."