chapter 51

He didn't understand why she wouldn't move

He didn't understand why she wouldn't move. This was nothing. She could have easily broken out of her restraints and struck them all down.

But why did she look so defeated?

He unwillingly dug the sword deeper against her neck. Her breath wavered ever so slightly.

'What are you doing? Why won't you save yourself?'

His lips were moving but, like always, he couldn't hear what he was saying. She looked back up at him  bruised, bloodied, and broken. His grip on the hilt of the sword tightened. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't throw it away.

She was pleading now (he could tell by her expression) but he wouldn't listen. He said something inaudible again and her eyes widened.

'Stop. Stop it. Don't'

He pulled his sword back, cutting her deeply. She hunched over in pain, hands tied behind her back. Just as she struggled to get back up on her knees, he turned his back to her. His rage didn't make sense to him.

The other wasn't that his father? No, he was one of the ministers, wasn't he? The other man spat something and the guard picked up a discarded sword.

He closed his eyes just in time to hear her body collapse on the ground.

What will you do...? He spun back around to see the courtyard was now empty. His feet carried him to the front gates of the palace. If he were to go to her house if he were to run, he'd still find her sitting by a lamp and reading. 

What will you do—

What will—

He'd find his Yeonha smile up at him, alive, with her heart still beating 

◆◆

Kyung felt unnaturally disoriented.

It had taken him a long while to shake off the dream that he couldn't quite remember. Of course it was about Yeonha. He had dreamed of her nearly every day for the past few months.

He took his time in reaching school, acting as if it didn't bother him that Yeonha hadn't called or texted him at all since her outburst the previous day. She had seemed frustrated like never before and he didn't really know what to do.

Out of force of habit, Kyung flipped through the burned pages of 'Trumpet Creeper'. So far, his story had been going according to what he had read. Haru and Eun Danoh had said the same words to him. The only difference was that Yeonha's setup had been affected by the existence of Lee Dohwa. Kyung could rest easy (relatively speaking) knowing that, unlike that vague panel in the manhwa that showed her lying unconscious (and hurt), Yeonha would get her happy ending.