"We're just wondering since we assumed, you'll shove her down in the chambers and out of sight rather than roam freely," he said with a shrug.

"I'm not a saint, but I'm not a damn sadist when it comes to the innocent," I snorted. "So long as Aleksei doesn't mind and she isn't causing trouble, I don't care what they're up to."

"I can tell with you shoving her onto your bodyguard."

"I don't have time to babysit her, nor am I interested in an Italian for the millionth time," I stated darkly, knocking over his King piece with my Bishop after trapping it from my Rook piece. "Checkmate, by the way."

"One day, I swear I'm going to beat you," he mumbled, shaking his head in dismay. I cocked my eyebrow up at his statement, finding it hard to believe. Since my mother first taught me, I haven't been beaten before. Except for one time back when I started to get the hang of it. The defeat left a bitter taste in my mouth, but the memory seemed to remind me of a happier time when things were simpler.

Timor got up with a groan just as I see Dove from the corner of my eyes along with Aleksei. She poked her head into the room as she lightly knocked on the door before I gestured for them to open it wider and step in. Dove was in another dress with a floral design on it with a giant cardigan around her body. Her hair was pinned to one side and it seemed she had healed well enough now that she didn't need to wrap her arms or legs anymore.

"What bird," I asked as I watched Dove twitch her eyes in annoyance once more. For the past few days, I had noticed whenever anyone, mainly me or Nicolai, called her bird in front of her name in substitution, she would press her lips thinly together. Her shoulders would tense before she goes quiet and takes a deep breath. Lately, my latest thing I liked to do for fun was to see how far I could push it before she snapped. "Do you need anything?"

"I was already telling Dove she didn't need to ask for permission, but she insisted anyways to make sure," Aleksei said, rolling his eyes as he stepped in. Nodding at Timor who did the same, I watched Dove clenched onto the side of her dress, her ring shimmering against the light with each little movement. She stared at the chessboard momentarily, a spark in her eyes before she stared at me, as if she found strength from it.

"I wish to explore the roof," she said, her voice coming off high pitched before she cleared her throat. "If you don't mind."

"Granted," I said, flicking my wrist in a dismissive matter. The less we interacted, the better it would be when she's done fulfilling her role and I can dump her somewhere and begone with her. Truthfully, I didn't even know why she wanted to explore the roof. There was nothing there, besides a small greenhouse on the roof that was then turned into a star gazing room by Anastasia when she was obsessed with it for six months. "So long as Aleksei doesn't care and Ana doesn't mind either, I don't care what you do, Bird."

"Told you so," Aleksei called out before gesturing for Dove to follow him. "Now let's go. Get your jacket from your room. Maybe we can go out to the front yard later if you're up for it."

"That one's denied," I said curtly.

"What? Why?" Aleksei frowned deeply at that. He knew with how well gated and guarded the place was, there was no way someone as frail as Dove can escape, let alone with her injuries that were still healing. I didn't like her or anyone hanging too close to where I wished no one to go.

I shrugged, grabbing for the cup of black coffee on my desk and took a large gulp. The content burned in my mouth, helping with my bile of anger. "I don't need to explain why."