Chapter Eleven - The Trials

"What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." - Albert Pine

Selene followed Sam and Dean into a rusty boat, that creaked and wobbled with every step

Selene followed Sam and Dean into a rusty boat, that creaked and wobbled with every step. She had decided to stop wallowing and start doing some good, so after Sam and Dean returned from their last case she agreed to come with them to meet their friend Kevin.

Walking in, she was nervous. She hadn't met any of the brother's friends before, and was curious as to what he would be like. Selene imagined a large man with a stern expression, only someone with a hard exterior could live in a place like this for so long.

So when she was face to face with the prophet himself she gave a subtle sigh of relief. Kevin Tran was almost the opposite to what she imagined, small, innocent and looked like he couldn't hurt a fly. The young prophet looked drained however, and the look in his eyes could murder anyone who dared touch his coffee pot.

"Wow you look like hammered crap." Dean commented bluntly. The brunette rolled her eyes, what a way to be polite. Kevin looked up from his place at the table, which was scattered with drawings and notes of what looked like runes and scripture.

"Yeah." Kevin sighed, nasally. The poor kid looked like he hadn't slept in weeks. He looked up at Selene cautiously, his paranoia setting in. "Who's this?" Selene tried to not look hurt at his hostile glare, instead choosing to smile at him.

"I'm Selene." She gave him a small wave, which he returned with a quick nod but still remained wary. "I'm staying with Sam and Dean for a bit, helping out with things." The brunette continued, but Kevin had already moved his attention back to the hunters.

"Are you sleeping?" Sam asked, concerned. Kevin rubbed his eyes tiredly.

"Not really." The prophet muttered. Dean took a step forward, looking around the room in disgust.

"Are you eating?" The hunter questioned, eyeing the oily wrappers scattered around the room.

"Hot dogs, mostly." Kevin commented, seemingly losing interest in the conversation. Dean narrowed his eyes.

"Sure, yeah – breakfast of champions. Look, I'm gonna feel dirty saying this, but you might want a salad and a shower." The hunter visibly winced at the mention of a healthy lifestyle, causing Selene to push down a smile.

"I know, and I've been getting bad headaches and nosebleeds, and I think maybe I had a small stroke. But it was worth it." Selene's eyes widened in worry at his statement. Stroke?! Was this kid okay? Kevin however was unbothered, his eyes now glinting with excitement.