Chapter Ten - The Bunker

"Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy." - C.S Lewis

Selene took in the large building before her

Selene took in the large building before her. It's towering grey walls dominating her vision, as the entrance was marked by a dismal double door. The bunker itself was intimidating, but then again, what did she expect from the secret hideout of the Men of Letters.

Silently she followed the two hunters through the heavy metal doors, her mind rife with the events of the past two days. Her thoughts swam with grief of a man out of time, an innocent man, who made a simple mistake that ended his life.

H. Winchester

As the wooden cross wrote. Marking the resting place of the hunters' grandfather. Selene hadn't been able to watch them bury him, the brunette having barely spoken since he passed away.

Selene had been around Death her whole life. She had seen it, experienced it, and felt it's effects on other people. But never, had she ever been affected by a death as much as this one.

Each passing hurt. Each time a persons life came to an end was painful. But this pain, the loss of Henry, was like no other. The man had been thrown out of everything he had known to be true, his own time, his own beliefs, his own family.

And confronted with the harsh reality that he had never made it back home. He would never see his son again, and his son would grow up to despise him, thinking that he had just abandoned him as a boy. John Winchester would never know what a hero his father was.

But Selene knew. As did Sam and Dean. They had seen him, they had known him even for a short while, and they remembered him as the hero he deserved to be remembered as.

Henry Winchester had died a noble death. Albeit a premature one.

Selene blinked as a bright light encompassed her vision. Dean had shone a flashlight over the railing that they were standing on, revealing the room below them. They were standing in what looked like a war room from the 1950s. A large table imprinted with a map lay in the centre of the room, surrounded by old communications equipment scattered along the walls. Selene felt as if she had stepped into a different era.

"Son of a bitch." Dean whispered in suprise. The three of them slowly made their way down the metal staircase, taking in the room before them in awe.

"Look at this. Radio, telegraph, switchboard. This was their nerve center." Sam spoke, his eyes wide in admiration and fascination. Dean walked over to a table in the corner.