eight .

E L E A N O R A

I wake up to Finley's insistent barking. Rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I sit up and take in my surroundings. This has been the best sleep I've gotten in a while. I must've been out for quite some time, considering the campfire that Gor had set up was now no longer burning.

Pulling the blankets waddled me tighter against me as the cold hits my skin, the first thing I see is Finley standing over me and staring at something in my direction, growling and snarling at whatever the hell it is. Goosebumps raise over my skin as I look around, only to find myself alone.

"Fin, what's wrong?" I ask and he immediately stops mid-growl, before running up to me and licking at my face as if he's greeting me after he hasn't seen me in a while.

"Gor?" I call out into the forest when I don't see him.

The silence of the night greets me in return. Worry starts to fill my chest. Roach is here, so is his cloak and armour, so where the hell is he?

I turn to Finley, scratching him behind his ear. "Do you know where he went?"

Finley lets out a small bark before he swivels around and speeds off through the forest. I quickly scurry to my feet, packing everything up into the saddlebags that hang off Roach's sides and pulling myself onto her back.

Snapping Roach's reins, we take off into the forest after Finley, following closely behind him as he makes he leads us through the woods with his head bent low as he sniffs the ground for a scent- assumably (and hopefully) Geralt's- and follows whatever trail he's picked up on.

Finley moves quickly through the woods, with his nose practically buried in the ground. The sun is starting to peek through the clouds, lighting the forest with a subtle glow.

The road ahead was none that I had recognised, but I kept at it, not stopping Finley as he leads me to god knows where.

I hadn't had the slightest clue as to where Gor could be. There wasn't a note that he'd left, no trail that I could follow. As far as I was concerned, this was my best bet.

Everything looked unfamiliar. That is until we passed through the same route that Geralt had taken on our way to Blaviken. Which in turn brought me to my next question- what in the ever-loving fuck was Gor doing back here?

The streets of Blaviken were empty, save for a few who were scurrying around town with their heads down, a stark comparison to the last time when it was bustling with people going about their days.

Goosebumps prickled at my skin as the cold morning wind caressed my face. The entire scene before me was eerie, to say the least. It felt almost like I was in a ghost town.

Tugging on Roach's reins, I bring us to a stop.

"Wait here, Roachy," I say as I hop off of Roach's back and the horse nickers in reply.

I jog to keep up with Finley, following him by foot this time as he continues with his nose in the concrete ground.

"Excuse me!" I yell for a man who barely spares me a glance as he hurries past me. "Well, thanks for the help," I mutter sarcastically as I let out a long breath.

A thick layer of fog surrounds us, making everything seem gloomier than it already is. Pulling my cloak tighter around me, I speed up to catch up with Finley even though everything inside of me was telling me to turn around and leave.