twenty two .

E L E A N O R A

The sound of objects rattling the wall from the room next to mine stirs me from my slumber.

Geralt had procured a room for me to rest in for the night. He hadn't mentioned a word about what had gone down during the conversation that he'd requested with Yennefer, but judging by the look on his face when he'd slipped into bed beside me, I knew I wouldn't be able to get an answer out of him no matter how hard I tried. So, I'd decided to let matters be for the moment and snuggled into him, quickly falling asleep with his warmth surrounding me.

Now, looking around the room as I roused from my sleep, I realise Geralt was nowhere to be found.

Shoving my covers back, I hurried to my feet before quickly exiting the room. Unlike last night, the hallway was dark seeing as how the torches remain unlit, safe for the sunlight trickling in from the small window at the end.

The sound of chanting reached my ears from Jaskier's room and I rush forward and barge through the door, promptly staggering back at the strong blast of wind that hits me.

I promptly spot Yennefer's form in the middle of the room, chanting over what looks to be some sort of sign or sigil drawn onto the wood. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that I've just walked right into some sort of ritual.

"Don't just stand around, Eleanora! Run!" Jaskier yells, grabbing my arm and dragging me out the door.

I almost stumble over my feet several times, barely able to keep up at the speed that Jaskier was going and considering the difference in our height, one could only imagine the struggle.

"Slow down, Jaskier!"

My words fall on deaf ears as the bard continues at what felt like breakneck speed. Soon, we both emerge through the front doors, where I bump right into a hard chest.

Geralt steadies me with an arm around my waist, his eyes peering down at me with an intensity that could kill. I notice that his hair that is usually partially tied back is loose around his shoulders and that his face is caked in dirt and blood from a nasty looking cut on his cheek.

I frown at his appearance, "What happened to you?"

"What the fuck happened?" He demands at the same time.

"Oh, Geralt! Thank the gods. I might live to see another day." Jaskier rushes out, turning Geralt away from the house, "We need to go."

"Jaskier, you're okay." To everyone else, Gor might sound as stoic as ever, but I catch the hint of relief in his voice.

"I'm glad to hear that you give a monkey's about it." Jaskier shoots back.

"Let's not jump to conclusions," Geralt says before turning to me and asking once again with fewer vulgarities, "What happened?"

I shrug, raising a brow at Jaskier, who would probably have more to add to the story than I did, considering I'd only seen a small fraction of it.

"Well, I was having a rather lovely dream which then turned into a nightmare." He blabs, "There were naked women in both parts. The first one was loving, tender, very generous." I wrinkle my nose at the new information. I did not need the visual of Jaskier's wet dreams in my head. "The second, significantly more terrifying."