eighteen .

E L E A N O R A

"Don't you look dashing," I say, straightening out Geralt's crumpled collar, leaning in to take a teasing sniff around his neck. "You definitely smell better now that you're not covered in selkiemore guts."

I'd spent most of the night in this place that Jaskier had somehow procured for tonight. It has multiple rooms to accommodate all three of us, which equates to plenty of space for Finley to roam around as he pleases.

Jaskier had dragged Geralt into going to a banquet- something about needing a bodyguard- that I've opted to sit out of. I've never been a fan of grand parties such as this one.

Geralt and Jaskier had just returned. It doesn't pass my notice that they'd arrived separately.

Judging by his dishevelled appearance and severe frown that Gor's spotting, I'm guessing nothing pleasant happened during the event.

With a sigh, I grab a bottle of...I'm not sure what it is...Gin, maybe? Either way, it's definitely alcohol.

Then, I take a seat before the fireplace, patting the spot next to me. "Come on. Lay it on me, then. What did I miss?"

Geralt obliges, lowering himself next to me. I twist the cork off and take a gulp straight from the bottle, feeling the liquid burn as it goes down before passing it on to Gor and laying my head on his shoulder.

"There was an incident at the banquet," He says.

"As always."

He shoots me a look, though the corner of his lips twitches into an almost-there smile.

He then proceeds to explain the situation between Princess Pavetta and the cursed knight, how the two fell in love with each other, and how Calanthe wanted him dead before she eventually relents and marries the pair and the curse was finally broken.

"So, you saved him. Isn't that a good thing?" I raised a brow at him, "I'm not sure how this warrants your sour mood."

Geralt exhales sharply, his frown growing deeper. "He wanted to repay me." He continues.

My brows knit together in confusion, "Right...I get the feeling this isn't going to go the way we envisioned it to."

"I claimed the Law of Surprise, and turns out..." Geralt turns his golden gaze on me, "Pavetta's pregnant."

My mind whirls, making the connections. A child of surprise.

"Well, fuck." I blurt and Geralt grunts in agreement.

I take another swig of alcohol, noticing that between the both of us, it's already nearly empty.

Meeting Geralt's troubled gaze, I shrug. "Listen, maybe it won't be so bad." I try to make light of the situation, "I think you'd make a great father figure."

Geralt shoots me a horrified look that has me snickering.

"Stop fucking with me, El. It's not funny."

The way he deadpans it only makes me laugh harder. Geralt's gaze never strays from me, and eventually, he too smiles at how ridiculous the whole situation turned out to be.

"I'm starting to regret not coming with. It sounded eventful." I joked and Gor lets out a gruff laugh.

"In all seriousness, Gor." I start, my gaze fleeting over his features that make my heart skip a beat. "I think you have nothing to worry about."

The air falls silent between us as he reaches over, interlacing his fingers with mine before spearing me with his stunning gaze once again.

"As long as I have you with me, I have no doubt."

The energy around us thrums like a live wire about to spark as we hold each other's gazes. I could hear my heart beating wildly in my chest as Geralt trails his fingers over the bridge of my nose, his eyes falling to my lips for a second before they meet mine once again.

Maybe it was the alcohol that I needed to give me that final push, or maybe the tension between us had just finally reached its burning point and had turned all our defences to ash.

Either way, I'm not sure what I was thinking- or if I was even thinking at all- as I lifted my leg across him, bringing myself to straddle his hulking figure before leaning up to seal my lips over his.

Geralt's body stiffens against me at first, but as our lips move together, he slowly relaxes, his arms sliding across my back to hold me close. He drags his teeth across my lower lip, drawing a gasp from me.

I could drown in this moment. One I didn't know just how much I was craving until it finally happened. This kiss tears me apart in the best way and fixes me back together again, in a way that was so Geralt that I couldn't even comprehend, much less begin to describe.

I revel in the way Geralt holds me tightly in his arms as if he was afraid to let me go and the way fingers weave themselves through my hair.

In many ways it felt like Gor was threading pieces of himself through me, intertwining our souls and giving me parts of himself I didn't know I needed. And now that I've got them, it feels like I could finally breathe easy.

"El," Gor grunts as he gently pushes me back.

The moment shatters like a piece of glass, and as I catch a glance at the look on his face, so does my heart.

Gor's eyes were squeezed shut, his features contorted into a look of pain.

Pain...this...whatever this is between us, pains him.

My heart twisted as if someone had it in an iron grip and is wringing out slowly. I wince, almost as if I could physically feel it.

"Oh," Is the only word I manage to muster up without completely crumbling to pieces.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Obviously, I've been reading too much into this, and I had no one to blame but myself.

I force a smile, though I'm not sure how convincing it looks and offer Geralt a small nod in hopes it conveys that there weren't any hard feelings, because I know for a fact that if I mutter even another word, the seams that I've been grasping at in a desperate attempt to hold it all together would come apart. That was the last thing I needed. I've already embarrassed myself enough for one night.

Bundling my skirt up, I push myself onto my feet and rush out the room. Ignoring the sound of Gor's voice calling my name.

Shoving through the first door I find and locking it behind me, I'm not even sure which room I was in before I let myself fall apart.