two .

E L E A N O R A

The shriek was loud, sounding far too near for comfort. Hopping off Roach's back, Geralt reaches into his satchel, pulling out a small silver dagger and pressing its handle into my palm.

"Take this," Geralt instructs, grasping my chin between his fingers, forcing me to meet his eyes. His grip is solid enough to convey the seriousness in his words, but not enough to hurt me. "Take Roach and leave here as quickly as you can. Do you understand me?"

"But-" I start, but don't get very far as he interrupts me.

"El, don't argue with me on this. Please." He says, his eyes softening, "I just want to make sure you're safe."

In all the years we've known each other, he's never once let me near any of the creatures he battles if he could help it. I didn't think he was going to start now just because I'd asked him to teach me how to hunt- don't get me wrong, I could handle a sword just fine, but hunting was a whole different league of its own.

I nodded reluctantly and he shoulders sag in relief, leaning up, he presses a kiss to my forehead. An intimate gesture. One that he hasn't done since our friendship began showing prospects of being more than just that.

Geralt then turns to Roach, tugging firmly on her reins, "Take care of her." He says to the horse, before taking off in the opposite direction, leaving me alone in the dark wood with the lingering sensation of his lips on my forehead.

My ears tune in to my surroundings, listening as Geralt's footsteps slowly get softer and his silhouette disappears into the woods.

I struggle with indecision as a horrible screeching soon fills the night air. My hands clenched tightly around Roach's reins.

"Fuck this," I mutter under my breath.

There was no way I was leaving him to battle it out alone. We're a team, albeit it was mostly him doing most of the work and I wasn't particularly that good a hunter- yet- but just because I didn't quite know how to hunt doesn't mean I'm not handy with a blade. You'd be surprised how much you learn as a young woman growing up alone in a world like this.

"We have to help him, Roach." The horse neighs, the noise sounding like a protest, and so I say, "I know it's dangerous, buddy. But we can't just leave him." Damn it. I can't believe I'm having a conversation with a horse. Gor must be rubbing off on me.

"Let's go, there's no time to waste!" I urge, snapping her reins, causing Roach to surge forward.

To say Geralt was going to be disappointed by my decision would be an understatement. I bet my ass that he was going to be pissed, but he would just have to deal with it. He should know me well enough by now to know that I'm not one who follows orders well.

We gallop through the woods vaguely following the sounds of the horrendous wailing and screeching that grates on my ears. Wincing as the sound gets louder, I continue forward, figuring that we were headed in the right direction.

I spot the swamp in front of us, illuminated by only the moonlight reflected on its surface.

Just as we were nearing the marsh, a deer darts out seemingly out of nowhere, causing Roach to rear back. I tumble off her back, scraping my hands on some bark and gravel as I hit the ground. Definitely not the most iconic of entrances.