twelve .

E L E A N O R A

Geralt looks downright murderous as we continue to make our way down the trail. A part of me worries that he just might murder Jaskier before the day ends.

The man has his arm thrown across my shoulders with a familiarity that makes it seem as if we've known each other for years and not just a little over an hour (give or take).

Whether he's oblivious to the glares Gor has been throwing his way or if he just doesn't give a shit, I'm not sure. Safe to say, Jaskier is treading in dangerous waters and chances are I'll be helping my best friend bury his body tonight.

After being pointedly ignored by Geralt after he'd droned on for quite a while, he'd finally decided that I would make a more interesting travel companion and turned his attention to little old me.

Frowning at the scowl on Geralt's face, Jaskier leans in and speaks to me in a whisper. "What's going on between the both of you?"

I shrug, "Gor's just protective."

"No, no. That's not it." His eyes take in Geralt appraisingly before they move on to me.

I roll my eyes at him as he narrows his eyes at me studying me as if I was the most confusing puzzle in the world that needed solving.

He then points a finger at me, wiggling it in my face. I smack it away and he clutches it dramatically to his chest.

"You have feelings for him."

I feel myself blanch at the accusation, shooting a look at Gor who, thankfully, seems to not be listening.

"No, I don't!" I hiss, "He's just a friend! And would you keep your voice down? I don't need Gor getting any ideas."

Jaskier tips his head out in laughter and I watch Gor glance at us over his shoulder, raising a questioning brow in my direction. I wave him off before elbowing Jaskier in the ribs.

"Shut the fuck up, Jaskier! Don't make me regret letting you come along."

This only makes him laugh harder. Wiping tears from his eyes, he tweaks my nose. "Oh, sweet, sweet, innocent Eleanora. What a terrible liar you are. Has anyone ever told you that?"

I swat his hand away again like it's an annoying gnat, scrunching my boss at him.

"Jaskier," I say warningly, but for some reason, the man has already decided that I was somehow not a threat and continues.

"I saw the way you looked at each other."

I ignore his statement, fixing my gaze forward.

"Come on now, Eleanora. Even the blind would be able to tell that you're not just friends."

Deciding that I've heard enough of this conversation, I rush forward, bumping my shoulder into Geralt's.

He gazes at me, looking none too happy.

"Had enough of him yet?" He grunts, "Can I get rid of him now?"

I laugh at his question, noticing how his shoulders relax and the corner of his lips quirk into a small smile. I take pleasure in the fact that I'm one of the few- if not only- people that get to see this side of him.

Gor stops in his tracks, before pulling himself onto Roach's back.

Jaskier immediately steps forward, "Do you mind if I hop up there with you? It's just I'm not really wearing the right type of footwear-"

"Don't touch Roach." Geralt snaps and Jaskier backs off in an instant.

I snicker as Gor offers me a hand, "Come on, get on."

I take his hand, letting him pull me up onto Roach with him, feeling slightly guilty as Jaskier trudges on beside us, grumbling under his breath. "Yeah, right, yeah. Of course, she gets to ride with him."

Gor reaches back, grabbing my arms and wrapping them around his waist. I make myself comfortable for the long ride ahead.

Resting my head between Geralt's shoulder blades. Somewhere along the way, my lids start to feel heavy and my eyes flutter close.

I'm not sure how long I was out for, but when I open my eyes again, I find myself alone in the middle of a burning desert.

The fire around me burns with a vengeance and sweat starts to trickle down my face from the heat. I could feel my heart thudding against my chest, so loudly I could hear it in my ears.

"Geralt!" I yell, desperately. "Jaskier!"

The flames roar louder as if they were mocking me, rubbing it in my face that there was no one coming to my rescue.

I rub my sweaty palms down on my pants as the fear and confusion paralyses me. I know I should be finding a way to escape this, but I couldn't. My legs refused to move.

I stumble back, landing hard on the ground as the flames lick at me.

My palms dig into the sand beneath me, and they sting at how hot it feels on my bare skin.

For the first time in a long time, I felt truly helpless. I hated this feeling and I vowed to never let myself feel like this again.

Pushing myself to my feet, I whirl around with newfound determination. That's when I see the figure standing amongst the flames.

It stands there unmoving, its head hanging low, shielding its face from my view.

"Hello?" I call out to it, though I'm not sure why I did considering the fact that everything in me was screaming for me to run.

Its head snaps up at the sound of my voice and bile lines my stomach as its bright red eyes meet mine.

I straighten up, pulling my shoulders back and meeting its gaze with as much vigour as I could manage.

"Where am I?" I demand, but the figures simply stare back at me wordlessly.

"Answer me!" I yell, my voice echoing through the empty space, "Where the fuck am I? Where's Geralt?"

Tentacles of smoke stretch forward as the Ker moves towards me, imitating the look of limbs. Stopping before me, a trail of smoke reaches out towards me, running down the length of my face leaving icy coldness in its wake on my skin.

I suppress a shiver, steeling my nerves and raising my chin.

"Where is he? What have you done to him?"

The Ker cocks its head to the side as if considering my question. Then, it leans in its voice deep and menacing as it croaks into my ear.

"Be careful who you trust...In the end, it'll always be us."