Chapter Three

**TRIGGER WARNING**

"So then, she proceeds to tell me that Mom & Dad are super stressed out and it's all MY fault because I'm leaving!

Later that night, Noel was venting to Ruthie on the phone while simultaneously loading some dishes into the dishwasher.

"Seriously? THAT'S what she wanted? And here I was expecting some heartfelt speech about what a douchelord she's been lately!"

"That would involve actually admitting that she's been wrong Ruthie, you know she can't do that!"

"You're right! Listen, I have an early morning tomorrow but how about lunch at the Sparrow? My treat?"

Noel sighed as she wiped the sweat from her forehead. "Sure, sounds good" she replied.

"Oh, and Noel?"

"Yeah?"

"Stop cleaning like a mad woman and go to bed!"

The next day, Noel trudged out at lunchtime to The Sparrow Café

The next day, Noel trudged out at lunchtime to The Sparrow Café. She was just about to sit down when Ruthie came in, followed by what appeared to be a snow squall. As she approached Noel's table, she took off her scarf and shook the snow out of her dark locks.

Ruthie was really a stunning woman. Her dark hair & fair skin made her look almost like a porcelain doll.

"Okay, I have had enough of Chicago winters!" she exclaimed as she shook her coat out and sat down across from Noel

"I don't know, winters are always rough here, but this one seems particularly nasty."

"Like the rest of my life!"

"Bad day?" Noel asked

"More like the day from hell and it's not even 12:30!"

"What the heck happened?"

Noel looked at her best friend, genuine concern playing across her face as she furrowed her brow.

"I had this really big client that I was just sure I was gonna land. We're talking boatloads of money here Noel, but also really getting my name out there & established. But, they called me this morning to tell me they've decided to go with Design Row instead of Phoenix House. I was so upset I ate 4 donuts in the break room before I came here."