Love Trouble

I hate feeling like this
I'm so tired of trying to fight this
I'm asleep and all I dream of

Is waking to you
Tell me that you will listen
Your touch is what I'm missing
And the more I hide I realize I'm slowly losing you

– “Comatose” by Skillet

Chapter 45: Love Trouble

            The next couple of days were my October break. I had a good time staying home Monday before getting to work. I felt relaxed as I waited for players to come see me. “Come in,” I said when I heard a knock on the door late that afternoon.

            Rob soon entered, appearing unusually nervous. “Hey, Lauren.” He took his time walking over and sitting down perpendicular to me.

            I could tell something was bothering him, for he was not his usually happy, joyful self. “What’s wrong, Gronk?”

            Rob wrung his hands as he stared down at his lap. “You told Tom I like Freya.”

            I blinked. “Yes. Don’t you?”

            Rob looked up at me, an anxious expression on his face. “Yes, but I never told you that.”

            I shrugged. “It was pretty obvious.”

            “Is she still with that guy?”

            I bit my lip and nodded.

            Concern shone in his eyes. “What should I do, Lauren?”

            I took a moment to figure out a good answer before replying. I wanted to tell him something that would be useful and not just make him feel better. “Well, if you’re up for it, I think you should focus on being her friend and getting to know her better. That way, you can show her how much you really care, and you may have a better chance of winning her over once she is single again. If not, at least you got a great friendship out of it, which is valuable in and of itself.”

            Rob appeared to calm as I spoke. When I finished, he nodded. “Ok. I think I can do that. Thanks, Lauren.” He gave me a small smile.

            I smiled at him in return. “No problem. To take the pressure off of you, we can organize some group activities. It’ll be fun.” I stood up as he did.

            “Yeah, it sounds like it. Thank you.” He gave me a big hug, which I returned. As he left, I thought about my hope that everything would work out for him.

***

            The following week passed by quickly. After a game against the Cowboys, the Patriots had a bye week. Though I still had school, I was looking forward to the break from work. I often did not get to see my friends outside of school and work, so I tried to make that a priority that week.

            I spent the first Tuesday of that week playing video games with Tom at his house. It was a lot of fun because we were both highly competitive. While we were nearing the end of one game, the doorbell rang. I frowned slightly when Tom paused the game and got up. “Hey, I was about to win,” I said as I stood up and followed him to the door.

            Tom looked back at me and smirked. “A good gamer is ready for anything.” He reached the front door and opened it wide.

            Standing there was a tan, black-haired woman whose dark eyes were lit up with excitement. “Tom!” she exclaimed, flinging her arms around his neck.