Departure

You don't really know me, but you see that three's a crowd
I am the odd man out
Acted slowly; guess I'm just the best friend now
I am the odd man out

Listen closely 'cause you can't be sorry
I admit I've been too proud
I don't wanna be, but I feel it all crash down

– “Odd Man Out” by Mitchel Musso

Chapter 37: Departure

            I had a good time celebrating with Aaron and the other Packers. It was late when we finally departed from each other. I was uneasy about going back to face Tom, so Aaron took me to his hotel room. “I don’t want to go back to Boston,” I mumbled as I walked in after him. I passed him, turning when I reached the bed.

            Aaron walked over to me and smiled at me. “You can visit me anytime you want. And you’re not leaving yet.”

            I smiled at him in return and stepped up to him, wrapping my arms around his neck. My mind finally started to make protests, but I was too tired and my emotions were too high to pay much attention to them.

            Aaron was one step ahead of me. He wrapped his arms around my waist, before moving his head down to kiss me. I eagerly kissed him back. I had not felt this way for a long time, and I did not want it to end just yet. My hands tangled in his hair as I deepened the kiss.

            Aaron smiled against my lips. I trailed my hands down to his chest while I let myself fall back on the bed, bringing him down with me on top of me, our lips never parting. I closed my eyes, smiling in pleasure when he began to kiss my neck. I let all my worries float away as I focused on the moment. “Aaron…” I murmured.

            He moved back to my face and kissed my jaw before attacking my lips again. I wrapped my arms around his next to keep him close to me.

            A spark of rationality lit in my mind, and I realized he was the one with all the control. I brought my hands down and gently pushed him over onto his back, which he allowed. I smirked as I positioned myself on top of him, straddling him.

            Aaron chuckled lightly. “Is that how you want to play?”

            My smirk widened into a grin. “Do you object?” I moved my head close to his and started to kiss his face.

“Not at all.” He cupped my face and brought my lips to his. After a minute, he rolled us over so we were both on our sides.

I broke the kiss and gazed at him sadly. “This isn’t going to work,” I said, stroking his cheek.

Aaron put his hand over mine to keep it pressed against his cheek, but he was frowning slightly. “What won’t work?”

“Us. We lead separate lives. We live too far apart.”

“We don’t know where you will be once you graduate.” Aaron curled his fingers around mine and brought our hands down a bit. He seemed hesitant as he spoke again. “Could you ever return to Green Bay?”

I was silent for a minute as I thought about it. Returning to Green Bay was the only way we could be together. However, I did not want to return just for him. If I was in love with him, maybe it would be a different story, but I was not at that point. “I – I don’t know, Aaron. It’s possible. I’m still not in the best place with the Packers.”

“I can help you. Come to a game next season. Try to get accumulated again.”

I bit my lip. Maybe I could learn to love them again. “I will try, but that’s not the only problem. I love the Patriots, and I might want to stay in Foxborough.” Although, if Green Bay became a viable option, I would have a choice. Then I would know that I was not being forced into any decision.