Brotherly Support

I looked for your reflection
In a shadow on the ground
And when I looked around
I found nothing
And the wind disturbs the surface
And I couldn't see the view
All I felt was you

Yeah, you have become someone, someone
Who matters to me

– “Someone” by Long Story Short

Chapter 51: Brotherly Support

            I was in a great mood the next morning. Usually I was not too happy when I woke up, but this day I felt like the world was full of light and sunshine. Freya noticed my mood and teased me about it after breakfast. She finally got information from the previous night out of me. Before I could inquire about her own experience at the dance with Rob, there was a knock on the door.

            Freya blinked. “I wonder who that could be.” No one had ever come to our door this early on a Saturday morning.

            “I’ll check,” I said, still in a cheery mood. I hoped off my chair and made my way over to the door. I was surprised to see who was waiting for me. “Tom! What are you doing here?”

            “I wanted to see you,” Tom said before pulling me into a long kiss that left me breathless and dazed. “Good morning.”

            “Aww…” Freya said from behind me.

            “Good morning,” I said once I was able to speak.

            “We also need to talk about the logistics of this,” Tom said, gesturing with his hand between the two of us. “Things like who to tell…”

            “We can work that out later,” I said.

            “Are you forgetting who we’re playing tomorrow?” Freya said.

            “The Colts.” Then it hit me. “Crap. I see what you mean. Well, we have to tell him.” How to tell him was a different matter.

            “How about I pick you up for lunch after I get back from work so we can talk about?” Tom suggested.

            I nodded. “That will work. I’ll see you later then.”

            Tom gave me one last parting smile. “Later.”

---

            Tom and I decided to go to a small café for lunch. We were seated at a table in the corner that seemed to provide enough privacy for us to talk about personal matters. We waited until after we ordered to bring up the topic of discussion.

            “So,” Tom began, “The most important issue we need to discuss is probably how many people we want to tell about our relationship. I’m assuming you don’t want to make an announcement for the whole world to hear.”

            I shook my head. “No. At least not at this point. I don’t want to be hounded by reporters anymore than I already am.” It was tough living in this world.

            Tom nodded. “I understand. I agree that the world does not be involved in our private affairs. We should be selective in who we tell.”

            “We should tell our family and close friends. They would probably be offended if we didn’t, and I don’t want to hide things from them.” Besides, Freya and Rob already knew. They would tell others if we did not.

            “Ok. What about the team?”

            I hesitated. “Well, I don’t think we should make an announcement to them, if that’s what you mean. It might make things a bit awkward since I work for them. You can tell whomever you think you can trust and who will accept it.”