Can't Forget

"Dance hard, laugh more
Turn the music up now
Party like a rock star!
Can I get a 'what now?'
I swear I'll do anything that I have to
'Til I forget about...

Jump up, fall down, gotta play it loud now
Don't care my head's spinning all around now
I swear I'll do anything that I have to...
'Til I forget about you!
"

– "'Till I Forget About You" by Big Time Rush

Chapter 58: Can't Forget

I partied hard that night. On principle, I was not the type of college student to lose myself at parties. I only ever went out with a few friends I knew well, and when I drank, I did so responsibly. It made no sense to me to get drunk with a bunch of strangers who could take advantage of me. However, I was in the middle of an unusual circumstance. Besides, my brothers were there to look out for me.

I wanted to forget everything, no matter how impossible that seemed. I needed to forget everything that had happened to me in the past two years. I need to forget Tom Brady and the Patriots and Massachusetts. I needed to forget everything I thought I could never feel. Only then could I move on.

And I did forget. For a few hours. Surely, it was probably mostly due to the large amount of beer I consumed, but, hey, whatever got the job done.

I made sure to have lots of fun. I talked and danced with all of the Giants players. I was having a blast until I heard Eli shouting over the noise of the music: "Lauren! It's time to stop!"

I blinked in surprise and turned to face him, nearly falling over as I did so. Luckily, the linebacker standing next to me steadied me. I smiled at him before staring at my brother. "Huh?"

"I'm going back to the hotel," Eli said. "I need to get some sleep. I'm leaving tomorrow for New York."

"I'll go with you!"

"No, you're staying here with me."

I turned in surprise to see Peyton standing next to Eli. I frowned. "Why?"

"You're not behaving normal," Eli said. "Peyton can help you."

I shook my head. "I'm fine. I'm having fun!"

"No, you're not," Peyton said flatly. "Now come with me." He stepped forward and grabbed my wrist. "Your coach knows you'll take a later plane back to Boston."

"I – I don't want to go back." The Patriots had just lost the Super Bowl. How would everyone treat me?

Eli gave me a sad smile. "You'll be fine. I'll visit you later."

I grew silent as I let Peyton lead me out of the bar. I suddenly felt the weight of the day, and my tiredness prevented me from fighting back. Maybe I did need a good night's sleep.

***

"Ugh, my head." I groaned as I trudged into the kitchen. Except, it wasn't my kitchen. Only when I saw Peyton pouring a tea pot did I remember that he had brought me back to his house the previous night.

"Drink this." He set a mug on the small, round table in front of me.

"Thanks." I sat down and took a drink of the tea, which turned out to be a mistake. I hissed as the hot liquid burned my tongue.

Peyton was looking at me with a frown. "How are you feeling?"

"Terrible. I'm nauseous and have a headache."