34.0

ROSIE.

As I walked deeper into the vibrant, Circus themed restaurant, I glanced around, looking for Mona. Finally, after much uncomfortable and very awkward turns on my part, I spotted her. She was sitting at a table facing me and I suddenly felt very stupid, seeing as how she was literally right in front of my face. Her smile broadened when she saw me and she stood up, kissing both of my cheeks, it was when he stood up that I noticed the intensity of his good looks. Very Christian Grey. Brown eyes bore into mine and I smiled, reaching my hand out to shake his inkless one.  “Rosie Janson, this is Jackson Samuels. Vulture’s new Editorial Assistant.”

“It’s nice to meet you, Jackson.”

“Please, call me Jack.” His smile, blindingly white, was nothing compared to that beautiful tongue between the teeth smile that I’d fallen madly in love with.

“The three of us will be working very closely together, so, let’s talk business and then we’ll socialize, yes?” Jack and I both nodded at Mona. “So Jackson, your responsibilities are going to include reading and evaluating unsolicited manuscripts…you’ll log, traffic and maintain the files on incoming manuscripts through all of the stages of publication. You will be attending editorial meetings and performing editorially-related administrative tasks with Rosie and I. Rosie will be your chief executive. Any questions, concerns…anything you need, she will help you. You answer to her.”

“That sounds manageable.” He was flirting, big time, and I knew it as soon as his smile and his glistening brown eyes met mine.

“Rosie?” Mona was waiting for me to acknowledge what she’d just said.

“Right, um, that’s—good. It’s good.” Mona’s eyes observed me, a smirk playing on her French lips.

“Good.” Jack smiled at me once again, just as my phone dinged.

Zayn: hows it going, baby?

Rosie: Just wanna come home to you.

Zayn: you okay?

Rosie: Fine. This guy is just…too pretty.

Zayn: dont like that

Rosie: I love you. I’ll be home soon .xo

“So, Jack…are you from New York?” I forced a smile at the handsome and utterly distinguished man.

“No, actually. Born and raised in Seattle.”

“Ahhh…what made you come here?”

“Everything.” He shrugged. “Had a great job, all my family is there…but something—I don’t know. Something brought me here and I’m hoping to find it soon.” His eyes never left mine, making me feel uncomfortable.

“Well, New York City is the perfect place for you then.” Mona hummed, looking between the two of us. The way she was looking back and forth…something started to occur to me and a sinking feeling made it’s way into the pit of my stomach. There was a silence amongst us, slightly uncomfortable, slightly not. 

Zayn: do you want me to come meet you?

“Shoot…I’m so sorry, but I have to go.” I began to gather my things.

“Is everything okay, darling?” I nodded at Mona.

“Oh, yeah…everything is fine, my sister has a prenatal appointment and her husband can’t make it.”

“Oh! How far along is she?” 

“Twenty-three weeks.”

“That is so exciting, well, give her my best, love. See you on Monday then, yes?”

“Yes. Jack, it was so nice meeting you. I’ll see you soon.”

“The pleasure is absolutely mine, Rosie. Take care.” With one more devastating smile, I turned away from him, my mind immediately moving back to my man. 

Rosie: No, I’m on my way. See you soon .xx

ZAYN.

“So, what do you mean he’s pretty?” I asked, handing her the cup of coffee.

“Mona hired him.” She was seething and I wasn’t sure why. 

“Right…?”

“Zayn…she’s doing this on purpose. She—she hired him because of me, because of us!” I started massaging her shoulders as she sat at the kitchen table in my small studio. 

“Baby…I don’t think so.” She shook her head. “Rosie, love…you’re good at what you do. I’m sure Mona sees that. Why would she try to sabotage you?”

“I don’t think she’s trying to sabotage me…she’s a celebrity journalist. She’s a vulture. I think she’s trying to sabotage us.”

“Then if that’s the case, don’t let her win. Don’t fall for this prick—”

“Hey…” She turned to look at me. “That’s not what I’m worried about. He doesn’t worry me, Zayn.”

“He worries me.”

“Yeah, and every girl in the world worries me.” Her smile was gentle as she gazed up at me. “I’m not worried about us. I’m just pissed. I’m upset, if what I’m thinking is true…then I’m angry. Angry that my love life is a game to her.”

“A game she’ll never win, baby.” She stood up, grabbing my face and kissing me before her arms looped around my neck. “So…what does he look like?” Her blue eyes rolled around and she pulled her cellphone out of her jeans pocket and opened the Facebook app. “You’re friends with him on Facebook?!” 

“God no, but I know how to stalk. Hold on.” It took a few minutes but she finally pulled up a profile and my heart plummeted into the very depths of my body. 

“You’re fücking kidding me.” He wasn’t just a good looking lad. He was…

“I know. He’s inhumanly pretty.”

“Quit.” I was joking and it got her to giggle that really cute giggle that I loved. “Just…stay away from him as best you can, yeah? Can’t bear the thought of losing you.”

“You’re not ever going to lose me, Zayn. Come on…”

“No I know. Just don’t like him.”

“Neither do I.” Her fingers ran through my messy hair, rhythmically. Soothingly. “How about you come bring me lunch on Monday? I can show you off a bit?”

“Of course, love. Was probably gonna, like, do that anyway.”

“Love you lots, okay?” I appreciated her assurance.

“Love you too, Rosie.”

“Have you taken Pepper on a walk yet?”

“Nope. Wanna go?”

“Yeah. Bundle up. It’s cold.” The little puppy was jumping up and down, already well aware what the word ‘walk’ meant. I wrapped a scarf around my face while she took her hair down, replacing it with a beanie and sunglasses. We’d gotten good at blending in, plus, it was pretty easy in the city. I offered her my arm as we exited the building and we headed straight for Central Park.