33.0

ROSIE.

I lay flat on my stomach, the soft fur shag of my white living room rug tickling my stomach. The past two days, Zayn and I had second guessed the name Nala and now we were in between, sadly leaving our sweet girl nameless. We were fighting for our favorites, his current being Valkyrie, Marvel’s Asgardian Goddess-slash-Avenger. Mine was Calliope, the Greek Muse of Poetry. We had moved past Disney characters, now we were just coming in from every angle. “Val sounds cool, babe…”

“So does Cal, or Callie!” I shot back as I pet her white paws.

“We’re not going with either of those, are we?” I shook my head, laughing.

“Why can’t we agree on anything?” He shrugged and finished up the afternoon dishes before sauntering over and laying by my side.

“She looks like salt and pepper. Her coat does.” He stated the obvious.

“Isn’t there a Marvel character named Pepper?” I traced my fingertips up and down his inked forearm. 

“Yeah, Pepper Potts!”

“That would be kind of cute, yeah?” A happy smile grew on his face. 

“You like that?”

“Yeah. She looks like a Pepper Potts.”

“Can we really name her Pepper Potts?”

“Yes, I’m telling you…I like that one.”

“Are we actually agreeing on something?”

“I think so, yes.” He leaned forward, catching my lips in a quick, sweet kiss.

“Christ, like, finally, yeah?” I giggled, allowing him to pull me into his arms. 

“Finally.”

“M’gonna take a picture and put it on Insta. Give the fans a bit of fun.” He took out his phone and sat on his knees. Pepper stood tall, looking absolutely freaking adorable. “S’perfect…look.” I glanced at the picture he just snapped and fell in love all over again. 

“Our sweet little girl…” I laid back down. Basking in the heat that the fire was emitting while he typed up a post.

“Okay done. Fans are probably, like, gonna go a bit mad…but don’t really care.” He lowered himself over me, kissing my neck and then my lips. “Happy?”

“How could I not be?” I hummed, meaning that. I couldn’t not be happy about our current situation. My man was home. We had just welcomed our newest baby into our small family and things were just so great. Perfect even. 

“Promise?”

“I swear on Pepper’s life. I have never been happier, baby.” I kissed him, twirling his hair around my fingers. “Are you happy?”

“I’m absolutely in love with you, we’ve got a new puppy named after a Marvel character, and we’re laying here with nothing to do on a Wednesday, there’s a massive blizzard outside…and you’re all mine…” His lips were everything to me. “Of course I’m happy.” As I kissed him, as our tongues played with each other, my phone dinged twice.

“So, I’m glad we’re on the same page.” I smiled and stood up, while he rolled over and pulled Pepper into his lap, rubbing her belly. I huffed in annoyance when I saw Mona’s name.

Mona LeMarchal: Hello love. Hired on a new Editorial Assistant…will be working for both of us. I’m taking him to lunch tomorrow, would love for you to join. I want him to see us as more of a partnership than anything else. Let me know ASAP.

I chewed on my lip, expecting more of a ‘come into work right now’ message. I quickly typed back a response.

Rosie Janson: I’d love to be there. When and where?

“Please, tell me you don’t have to go into work…” Zayn’s arms slipped easily around my waist.

“No, no…Mona just wants me to go to lunch with her and our new editorial assistant. Wants us to come off as partners.”

“S’good then, yeah?”

“Yeah, that’s great. She’s really treating me like I’m important, you know?”

“You are important.”

Mona LeMarchal: 2pm @ Le Cirque on E. 58th?

Rosie Janson: Sounds wonderful. See you then.

“Right, but…I just feel like I’m a big part of the magazine. It’s a good feeling.” He nodded in understanding.

“Well, m’really happy for you, love. I am. And m’fücking proud as hell too…”

“Oh stop.”

“No, I mean it, Rose. Very, very proud, baby.”

“So you’ve said…”

“Just want you to, like, be aware, yeah? I’ll be proud of you no matter what.” I decided to quit the whole stubbornly modest act I had going and accept his praise.

“Thank you. I love you.”

“Love you too. Now let me make love to you…” He bit my lower lip and began pulled the buttons of his flannel away from my body…furthering us into our own little world.