27.0

ROSIE.

“May I?” I turned around in my seat to find Harry standing over me. I nodded and he sat down at the small corner table inside the otherwise empty cafeteria. “Do you think this banana is safe to eat?” I glanced down at the very bruised banana in his ringed hands.

“I don’t think they’d sell you a banana that wasn’t safe to eat…”

“They gave it to me for free, actually…”

“Hmm…the perks of being Harry Styles.”

“I told the nice lady over there that her husband was a lucky man.” He pointed towards the elderly woman working the cash register. I just laughed and rubbed my temples. “Hey…Rosie?”

“Yes Harry?”

“Don’t be mad at him.” I groaned.

“I’m not mad…I’m just hurt, honestly.”

“You shouldn’t be. Rosie…Zayn—he loves you okay? And I can say this with absolute confidence…he loves you more than he ever loved Perrie.”

“How can he not be mad at her?”

“Because Zayn has the biggest heart…bigger than anyone in this world, Rosie. He cares so much and I know he doesn’t have feelings for her…but she was a big part of his life for three and a half years…it’s probably just hard for him not care, you know?”

“No, I know…I just…aren’t you angry? Harry, what if she hadn’t got him in the shoulder? What if he didn’t make it?”

“He did, though.”

“But what if he didn’t?” He sighed and ran his fingers through his curls.

“I don’t like her, at all, okay? I don’t. But he didn’t die. He’s still alive and well. I think we all need to focus on him and not on her—not on the negative stuff.”

“How are the other boys taking it?”

“Niall and me are on the same page and Li is just trying to talk himself down. He and Louis are really angry.” I shook my head, still feeling annoyed.

“How can I not be angry, Harry?” His green eyes bore into mine. “I almost lost him…he’s singlehandedly the most important person in my life—if he hadn’t made it…”

“But he made it, love. He made it.” I hated that he was right. 

“Damnit.”

“You know I’m right.” His confident smirk was annoying, but I couldn’t help but laugh anyway. 

“Yeah, hate you for it too.” He chuckled, a boyish chuckle and stood up, holding out his hand for me to take. 

“Come on, let’s get you back to Zaynie.”

“Zaynie?”

“Yes, Rosie, Zaynie.” He pulled me along by the arm and we made our way into the elevator. I leaned against the wall and Harry looked at me from across the small space. “Okay, so what did we just learn from the super smart Harry Styles?” I rolled my eyes at him.

“That I shouldn’t be mad or hurt anymore.”

“And…?”

“I don’t know what else, Harry.”

“And Zayn loves you way more.” 

“He does…”

“He does.” He nodded, “And…best part is…you’ve got us.”

“What could be better?”

“Ha-ha. No, I really mean it, Rosie. You have us. You ever need anything, you call one of us.”

“I know that. I do.”

“Good.” The door dinged open and we walked back towards Zayn’s room. Just before I stepped inside, Harry grabbed my arm. “Be nice to him…” He raised his eyebrow as a cheeky smirk played on his lips. 

“Yes, fine. I will. Thanks Harry.”

“Welcome, babe.” He let go and I opened up the door, walking inside the dark room. The small bed light was turned on, illuminating Zayn’s sleeping features and I smiled at how handsome he looked. My heels made a clacking sound as I walked over, but it didn’t wake him. It wasn’t until I brushed my fingers along his stubbly face that he began to stir. 

“Rose…?” His eyes fluttered open and he gazed up at me. 

“I love you.”

“Rosie…” He pulled me down and I allowed my body to mold against his uninjured side.

“I love you and I’m sorry.”

“No don’t—don’t apologize, please.”

“Zayn…”

“No, Rosie. You were right. You don’t have to apologize for anything, okay? I love you.” His lips hit my forehead. “But, baby…” I sat up and looked down at our hands. “I need you to trust me, Rosie. I can’t—we can’t get any further in our relationship if you don’t trust me.”

“I do, I trust you. I’m just scared…Zayn, I don’t want to lose you.”

“Rosie, what? Baby, you’re not—you’re not gonna lose me.” I couldn’t help the tears that hit my eyes again. His middle finger tilted my chin up so our eyes met. “M’like, right here, yeah?”

“No, yeah…yeah, you are.”

“So trust me, Rose…please, baby?”

“I trust you…just don’t hurt me, Zayn.”

“I’ll never hurt you, Rose. My sweet girl…I love you. I’ll never hurt you.” I laid back down, letting him wrap his good arm around me.

“It’s you and me then?”

“S’you and me, angel. You and me.”