-RENDEZVOUS AND REGRETS-

Light, distinct chatter; a soft, inviting aroma of kebabs along with, pleasant, comforting laughs in the air is how Adrija would describe the small get together at Dev and Aditi's. She had always been in awe of Aditi's low-key meet up-s; never managing to wrap her head around what it was about Dev and Aditi as a couple that was so positive and so inviting.

But today; sitting at their humble abode and looking at the intricacies of their life, Adrija was beginning to be able to join the dots little by little. She was beginning to understand why Mihir liked to hang around here so much.

Theirs; was a compact house; nothing ostentatious about their furniture, their china or their vibe. Walking in through the living room, one could see a four seat-er, wooden dining table that adorned a fresh, bright table cloth atop. On the corner end of the same table, was a compact potted plant.

At the centre of the living room; there was a cozy sitting area with wooden furniture of the same finishing as their dining table. Again, at the corner of the sitting space was about a three feet tall, potted plant; very aesthetically positioned.

It was easy to tell that Aditi had a green thumb.

When you looked straight ahead from the sitting area, there was a narrow passage that lead into what Adrija concluded was the kitchen. Along the passage, one could spot a relaxing, coffee coloured statue of the Buddha and a beautiful arrangement of two potted plants; vibrant and fresh; almost as if they were smiling at you in invitation.

Plants. That was what put their whole theme together. And it surprised Adrija to think that she actually recalled Aditi's affinity towards wooden interiors and potted plants back from the times they had worked together.

And this was it. Dev and Aditi's home spoke so much about them, that anyone sitting in their midst would feel comfortable and a weird sense of belonging.

"...yes! And...and my boss, he just walks up to me and says, mind you one day before the big presentation..." Aakash paused to clear his throat before he mimicked, "'Aakash, you're going to have to redo this.'"

Everyone burst into a laugh. Adrija was surprised when she felt her own lips curve up into a smile; now sensing it was more of Aakash's style of narrating the incident than the actual incident that was humorous. Aakash actually reminded her a lot of Mihir from their younger years. Teasing, playful, funny...

"I think it's universal..." Varun Malhotra quipped lazily from next to Mihir. He was a rather attractive specimen for the human eye; with an athletic height and build; and a constant, lazy smile adorning his features. He was attractive, and he knew it.

It was weird how Varun looked so different; and yet so similar to the times she had met him in the past.

How she remembered him; from her younger years dating Mihir; was a restless, ambitious, amateur journalism graduate struggling to carve out a niche for himself in the media industry. He had always had an air of confidence about him though; like he knew what he was talking about; and she would be lying to herself if she said that she hadn't found him attractive as a twenty year old.

Well, superficially anyway. She had hardly known what the man was like in his truest light.

Varun had recognized her immediately as well; and had been nothing but courteous when Mihir had introduced the two of them.

"Long time." Varun had smiled, his tone a perfect mix of formal and friendly. She could tell he did this often.

"About a decade, I think."

He had nodded, "Yeah. Mihir talks about you."

She'd let out a small smile, "How's Latika?"