-THE SHRINK-

"You don't like me."

Mihir stopped, his gaze meeting Aakash's, who looked like he'd made the observation of the century. He let out a sigh, before forcing a formal smile in his general direction and shrugging, "Nothing like that."

Aakash folded his arms before his chest, offering testily, "Come on man. Aren't we a little too old for this teenage drama?"

This man had never ceased to appall Mihir!

"Do you have any idea as to how arrogant you sound right now, Aakash?"

At this, his features turned visibly apologetic. "I...I didn't mean it like that."

Mihir shook his head with a sigh, "Look I...I'm really not in the mood for this right now. Can we drop it?"

"Here's the thing man." Aakash began to explain, leaning forward on the table in the hospital canteen, "The Doctor thinks Aditi needs some major tests before her discharge and I don't think either one of us will be leaving till we know she's okay. We have an entire night to kill. So we could either get through it by ignoring each other, or actually try to move past our differences. In fact, that's probably the best gift we can give Aditi!"

Mihir gazed at the empty chair opposite Aakash's hesitantly, before letting out yet another sigh and seating himself.

"Coffee?"

"No, I'm good."

Silence filled the air, until Aakash began, "So...I'm guessing there's a solid reason behind your hatred for me."

Mihir laughed, "I don't hate you. I just don't like you around Aditi."

"And...may I know why? I care for her just as much as you do."

He watched Aakash sip at his cup of coffee, observing his disposition, his smile and his demeanour, wondering what Aditi could've possibly found similar about them. He was nothing like Aakash, or so he would like to believe.

"You claim to understand friendship, and are still asking me why I don't like you?"

Aakash shrugged.

"You hurt me, and I might find a way to forgive you. But you hurt my friend, no...my best friend, and there is nothing in the World that can get me to trust you ever again. You left for the States without any commitment, you didn't even try to keep in touch with Aditi knowing the intensity of her feelings for you and as if that wasn't enough, she found out about your live-in escapades through Facebook! Even after all this, when she was finally moving on with Dev, you were back. Back with a freaking wedding ring! I'm sorry, but don't you think she deserved better?"

Silenced filled the air in the quiet canteen apart from the hushed whispers of other family members of hospitalized patients. Aakash had guessed some degree of hatred, but an outburst of this degree? Oh hell no.

"You...you do realize that I'd opened up about no commitments to Aditi and...and that it was a mutual decision right?"

Mihir's eyes widened his way, "Okay. What about the part where you snapped all communication for two years?"

Aakash let out a humourless laugh, "You're really biased right here, aren't you?"

He received no response apart from a veiled eye roll.

"You know, you have to realize that you've only heard one side of the story. I'm not saying I didn't mess up, I truly was a dick, but Aditi has had some serious ego problems too. I or even Arjun and Disha for that matter, never snapped communication. We were just a phone call away, and where neither one of us made the first move, neither did Aditi!