-LATITUDES-

Adrija looked up from her laptop, stretching on her spot to loosen her back muscles from the constant sitting posture. Her lower back hurt, and she let out a sigh; recalling the chiropractor's repeated orders to not stop the few yogasanas he had showed her. She unfortunately had stopped them just a couple of weeks into their practice because of her hectic schedule.

Adrija knew these were just excuses, but being a single mother was an incredibly tough job. She didn't remember the last time she had managed to have some time all to herself.

Rising on her spot, she gave one last look to her unfinished email. And then, as gingerly as possible; so as to not startle Mihir, she walked over to him on the couch.

After her mother had left, Mihir had stayed for dinner. And dinner had transitioned into an animated roundtable planning Pritha's sixth birthday party.

"I'm dressing up as a princess, Uncle." She had beamed at Mihir, through her mouth full of the stuffed sabzi.

"Dressing up?" Mihir had teased, "I thought you WERE a princess!"

Pritha had blushed and giggled, making Adrija widen her eyes warningly at him. "I've told you not to get her excited during meals, Mihir. It gets so difficult to get her to finish her food."

Mihir had mouthed an embarrassed apology, and she had instantly melted at his earnestness.

After dinner, they'd cleaned up the table together and then finalized the cake and the decorations. Adrija had become extremely stingy over the years. Mihir on the other hand, did not seem to be ready to take no for an answer.

"This is the first time that I am planning her birthday, Dri. I want it to be the best she has ever had."

Adrija had protested, "This is ironic coming from you, since you're the one that taught me expensive isn't always the best."

Mihir had shrugged, "I have double standards." And then, "As long as you don't feel like I'm overstepping any boundaries here, please let me contribute as much as I can."

She did not wholly agree with him, but sensing this party meant so much to him, let him have his way. And so, it was settled, they were going to have a pretty large-scale party with a total of fifteen guests, excluding the little friends Pritha wanted to invite from school.

When Mihir had offered to host the party at his place however, she'd found herself say no. That would be a very huge step, and would need too many explanations to the guests and Pritha. A transition that huge was going to take a little longer than that. She was glad that Mihir did not protest.

Right that instant, he lay un-movingly on the couch- snoring through his deep sleep. The TV continued to play a cricket match that she did not care to notice.

Adrija found a smile escape her lips at the sight.

Snoring had always been a major pet peeve of hers since childhood, but apparently that rule did not apply to the love of her life.

Gently pulling the remote from his grip, she switched off the TV. Mihir was sitting upright, but his neck remained nestled on the sofa, his arms folded before his chest defensively as though he were in some intense Board Meeting. She rolled her eyes, always on the defensive!

Gingerly, she adjusted his arm around herself in order to cuddle with him. Mihir seemed to sense her presence only when her head rested on his shoulder.

"Hey." He chimed groggily.

Adrija blushed, "I'm sorry, didn't mean to wake you up."

Mihir shook his head, "Is Pritha asleep?"