-THE TRUTH BOMB-

The traffic was absolutely hopeless, as was the rain. Mihir turned on the windshield wiper; as he stretched in his seat and attempted a rough assessment of the jam before. It was going to take at least a half hour for the car to get to the Sea Link; which would be a completely empty and beautiful route. But at the end of it; the moment his car would swerve for the suburbs of the city; he was well aware of the second stretch of traffic that he was going to see.

Mihir let out a sigh.

"I'm the one who has left their five year old daughter with a neighbour and you are the one getting restless." Adrija quipped; after a whole ten minutes of pin, drop silence.

"Are you sure Pritha will be okay?" Mihir found himself ask as a reflex.

She nodded positively, "Pritha has always been comfortable at Archana's place. I'd get late from work some times and she'd stay there with no complaints whatsoever. She especially loves spending time with their German Shepherd."

Mihir smiled, "Pritha likes dogs?"

"Loves them. She's been after my life for us to have one!"

The traffic moved just the tiniest bit, as Mihir geared the car ahead. The petrol was going down rapidly because of the heavy blast of the car's AC. Adrija seemed to notice his line of sight, and quickly offered,

"Is it enough for the Sea Link?"

Mihir nodded, "But I'd feel more comfortable if I knew I have a filled tank. Any petrol pumps you know nearby?"

"That's why I asked, when you swerve for Bandra; there's a big petrol pump. I'll remind you in time, don't worry."

And that brought upon a comfortable silence in the air. The car moved ever so slowly from its spot. To their left; was the beautiful stretch of Worli. The waves crashed onto the stones and caused gushes of sea water to splash onto the side of the road and the palm trees planted for beautification swayed effortlessly with the wind.

"What did you think of Vedant?"

Mihir wasn't sure why he had been avoiding this conversation since after the dinner. After all, his discovery of the man's sexual orientation had only sorted things for him. Vedant was no longer a potential threat...well not in the romantic aspect of Adrija's life at least. Why then was he still not feeling too good?

"He's nice. Nice and rich...friendly."

All of this was true.

And yet, he knew just how fake his voice sounded. He wondered if she caught onto it.

"Oh." Was all she said though. From the corner of his eyes he realized she was busy studying him. He didn't know what she inferred from his disposition; but she asked no questions; simply lacing her fingers with his free hand on the gear box.

When he turned towards her with surprise; she smiled warmly and brought his palm close to her lips. And then, she kissed him on the knuckles ever so gently.

His brain froze then and there; his heart beating and a queer masculine want coursing through his veins.

Maybe that's why he let his discomfort slide that night; maybe that's why he failed to recognize that he was still not okay.

***

"...no really..."

The sound of the mic resonated in the dim lit pub, as a stand-up comedian addressed the crowd animatedly,

"How many of you have had a fucked up office romance?"

A dozen hands were raised with soft chuckles.