Chapter 18.

"This is the first time I've seen you in full Durmstrang uniform and I'm disappointed," Harry pouted at Marvolo as the student congregation headed towards the Great Hall. "I was hoping it would look terrible on you. Brown tunic and brown trousers aren't flattering at all."

"You're cute," Marvolo smirked down at him, patting Harry's cheek and ignoring the curious whispering around them. "Now which table are we sitting at?"

Harry led Tom to the Hufflepuff table, Viktor and Harry's friends leisurely trailing behind them. The other Durmstrang students had a moment of crisis, wondering if they were supposed to sit with their two best students or if they were allowed not to be in vicinity of this strange, nice version of Gaunt. Who apparently had romantic ties to the Boy Who Lived.

That was going to take a while to absorb.

"Should we... chaperone?" One of Viktor's classmates had whispered worriedly to his friend. "Gaunt didn't ingest anything strange on the way here, did he?"

"Don't be stupid, Aldrich," the friend replied back heatedly, "Gaunt's business is his own. Now keep your mouth shut, he can hear you from there."

Viktor snorted. "Our classmates are being very funny," he explained to Harry's confused friends. Draco, the only one with a passing knowledge of German, snickered himself.

"It's funny how everyone thinks Harry's virtue is in danger," Draco smirked as Harry rolled his eyes.

Throughout the entire dinner, eyes wandered towards their eclectic group, fighting for people's attention with Fleur Delacour who sat with her friends at the Ravenclaw table. Ron, when he wasn't frowning mulishly at Hermione and Viktor's increasingly engaged conversation, couldn't help but notice the part-veela's allure himself. Funnily enough though, while he stared starry eyed at Fleur flipping her silvery-blonde hair, Hermione would turn to him and seeing his attention preoccupied by the French witch, became rather miffed.

Finally, a composed Dumbledore stood up from the Head Table and smiled genially at the assembled students. It was like Tom's appearance wasn't bothering him at all.

"Our dear friends from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang," Dumbledore started, "it is with great honor that Hogwarts welcomes you to our humble castle. I do hope dinner was to your liking, as we would like you to be as comfortable as you can during your stay. It is with great delight that I announce the beginning of the TriWizard Tournament!"

Applause littered the hall, the Weasley twins going as far as to holler cheers. Dumbledore stepped towards the podium a few meters from the Head Table, where an ancient looking case sat. Ludo Bagman excitedly approached it as well, carefully unclasping and opening the wooden case to reveal a golden cup that suddenly flickered into flames.

"As is tradition, each school will have a champion chosen by an impartial selector: the Goblet of Fire." Dumbledore gestured to the ancient cup. "Students who wish to nominate themselves have twenty-four hours to put their name on a slip of paper and throw it into the Goblet's flames. During tomorrow's Halloween feast, the Goblet will then reveal our champions, who will valiantly compete for the prestigious title of TriWizard Champion and one thousand galleons."

More clapping, and Harry could already see some students itching to put their name in already. Well, aren't many of them going to be surprised.