Chapter 7.

"That can't be possible," Tom insisted after Harry told him what happened. "I've reunited with all my horcruxes. You know I got back my diary. You were there ."

"I'm not saying you or one of your souls did it," Harry said gently, their roles for once reversed as Tom got increasingly agitated. "I'm just saying someone opened the chamber and only two people know where it is, and they're both taking part in this conversation."

"Unless there's a stray soul bit sticking to someone again, or another legitimate Parselmouth in the school, then there's no other way they could have found and opened the chamber, and gave the exact same warning as the first time, right?" Harry frowned then his eyes squinted at Tom on the mirror, "Voldemort didn't actually knock anyone up this time around, did he? Marvolo Thomas doesn't have a sibling, does he?"

"Voldemort couldn't even get an erection," Tom dryly said. "The rituals did a number on my old body, physically and chemically. In fact, my second body during Life 1, the genitals were-"

"Stop. I regret bringing up Voldemort's sex life already," Harry blankly interrupts. Tom rolled his eyes. "Okay, so if it's not you, your soul fragment, or - oh Merlin - an illegitimate demon spawn, who opened the Chamber?"

The former Dark Lord very seriously ordered, "That's what you have to find out."

"Oh, fuck you."

.

"Now, don't panic," Harry immediately said as the sink in front of them shifted and opened to reveal a hole. "This is completely natural."

Neville, his chosen companion for this particular task, stared at him. "You're a Parselmouth," He faintly squeaked. "And you just opened the Chamber of Secrets, I think?"

Harry beamed at his friend, "Yes! Well, I didn't open it last time , that's what we want to find out, but yeah!" He patted the Gryffindor's shoulder. "I knew you'd keep a level head. This is why I picked you."

"I'm starting to feel the regret that Ron and Malfoy always feel when you do something… Harry-like," Neville sadly murmured before taking a leap of faith and jumping down the slide towards only one of the most legendary places in magical Britain.

The Chamber was as wet and filthy as Harry remembered it to be. There were miscellaneous bones scattered here and there, as was gross muck and slimy green stuff.

"If I die I'm going to haunt you for the rest of your life," Neville said, side-eyeing the enormous shed snake skin as they continued on deeper into the chamber.

"We'll be fiiiine," Harry cheerfully assured, but paused. "I think."

"I swear to Lady Hecate, Harry-"

"Did I mention we're meeting a basilisk?"

"The rest of your life and beyond ,"

.

"Are you okay, Neville?" Hermione asked the next morning during breakfast. "You look a little pale."

"Harry," Neville, slowly turning to his housemate with a dull look in his bagged eyes, and it was all Hermione and Ron needed to hear.