A Hug

"What else do you like to do?" Maddy asked Craig as they sat in the seat. Craig was holding her hand. "I'm a lawyer, so in my free time I sleep and watch TV." "That's it?" Maddy crinkled her nose. "There would be plenty of time for dinners and movies." Craig winked at her.

"I like hiking. I know I do not look built for that, but I do. I like outdoor stuff. Fishing, camping, that kind of stuff. Lacy hates the outdoors, so I usually go with one of my brothers." Maddy offered.

"One, how many do you have?" Craig asked. "Five." "FIVE! Where do you fall in?" "The youngest." "Oh, I bet that was a fun childhood." Craig laughed as he looked at her in disbelief.

"It was. I learned to do all the things they did." "I meant when you dated." Craig offered. "I didn't." She laughed again remembering how she had to lie to them about staying at a friend's house, but they always found out and showed up wherever she was, eventually ruining every date.

The bus had arrived at the restaurant and Maddy looked up to see Holton looking at her. He gave her a smile, and she smiled back, then felt her cheeks warm as she looked away. Damn, she needed food. Too much alcohol.

And joyous, Holton ended up across from her at the table. Lacy was next to her, and she figured that was why. Until she realized that he was talking with the other man, who was with Sara, and had sat down next to him.

"Maddy, this is my best friend Dawson. I don't think you two have been introduced." Holton offered. "We haven't. Nice to meet you Dawson." Maddy smiled.

"You too. I have already heard all about you." Dawson grinned, then he must have taken an elbow to the side from Holton by the way he flinched. Which made her laugh. Was Holton talking about her? No, I bet he meant Lacy.

"Oh, you are probably thinking of Lacy. My best friend." Maddy pointed over to her and Lacy waived before Dave pulled her back to his attention.

"No, I meant you." Dawson smiled. "You did?" Maddy was confused. "Dawson." She heard Holton growl his name, but he seemed to ignore it and just smiled at her.

"Yes. You. Holton here told me all about the bar incident a few weeks back. I thought he was lying to me, since there was no way I believed he played the knight in shining armor. And of course, when he described how stunning you were, I thought he was tripping, but he was correct." Dawson grinned at Holton.

"Dawson, cut it out." Holton growled at him. "He was not a knight, more of a jerk." Maddy looked at Holton, who was still giving Dawson a death glare.

"Ok, I could see that." Dawson laughed. "He was mean. Well at first." She giggled and Holton stopped and looked at her in surprise. Her hazel eyes were shining in the florescent lights and he could barely look away.

"I admit, I was a little on the rude side. However, it was not due to her personally, she was very polite. That was the night I had the blow out with Carla." Holton explained. "Who's Carla?" Maddy was guessing his girlfriend.

"His wonderfully polite and charming ex-girlfriend who everyone loved so dearly." Maddy could tell Dawson was teasing. "A royal bitch then?" She heard herself, then felt bad.

"Well..." Dawson looked at Holton, who shook his head and laughed. Oh, he laughed. She smiled at him, and he smiled back. "She was very much one. And yes, I was rude, but I did apologize." Holton was still smiling, but Maddy knew he had never apologized to her that night.

"When? I never heard an apology." She leaned on her hand and waited. Holton looked lost. "I told you I was sorry on the way out to the cab." "If you did, I never heard you." She raised her eyebrows.