What did I do wrong?

MADDY

"Oh shit." "What?" "He's coming this way." Maddy looked down at her glass. "Act natural." "He saw me staring at him." She said through her teeth, but did not have time for much more, as Maddy saw him approach the table.

"Ladies." He said casually. "Hi." Lacy smiled. "Hello." Maddy looked up and caught his eyes but quickly looked away. "What a pleasant surprise to see you both again." He sounded, fake, and it bothered her.

"Holton, we were just talking about how sweet you were last night." Lacy smiled. "You saved Maddy, and I am so thankful that you saw it. There is no telling what he could have done to her." Lacy was laying it on thick, and it made Maddy blush more. 

He really did not save her, he just helped, and although she was thankful, Lacy didn't need to be so gushy about it. She chanced another look up through her lashes, but he was talking to Lacy.

"I just happened to be at the right place at the right time." He nodded like it was no big deal. His hands were in his pockets and he was so casual about it, which only made Maddy feel more shy. 

What was wrong with her? She was never like this! Usually she would just go for what she wanted. Not that she wanted him. God, no! She was not even interested in him!

"No, it was fate. Maddy doesn't believe it in that, but I do, and you being in the right place, that was definitely devine intervention." Maddy started at Lacy as she played the fate card, which she was good at, but this time, Maddy wished she would just stop talking.

Suddenly Lacy stood and wrapped Holton in a hug, which took Maddy by surprise. And she watched as he gently hugged her back, but his face stayed passive. She wished she could tell what he was thinking!

"It was pure luck that I saw it. And yes, it could have been bad." Holton looked at Maddy, who looked away, and tried to not play the damsel in distress. She wasn't. And she just wanted to stop talking about it. He was going to think she was weak.

"Yes, we were lucky." Lacy gave her a 'seriously' look, and then tilted her head. Maddy knew she wanted her to talk to him, but she had no idea what to say.

 "Yes, it could have been awful." She looked at her hands, whishing she knew what to do. Should she hug him? Or not? She hesitated, mostly due to embarrassment now. He looked so good, too good, and she felt weird.

"I was happy to hear that you made it home safe. I did worry that they might follow you, so I stayed back a while, but they did not leave the bar for a good hour after."

"You stayed to check?" Her voice betrayed her shock as she looked up and met his eyes. "Yes." The word was soft and before she could help herself, she gave a shy smile, and he returned it with a small one of his own.

"That was very kind of you." "Doesn't happen often." Was he trying to be funny? "Well, I appreciated it." She stood up and he stepped back. Oh. Well that was unexpected.

"I was just going to hug you, but that's ok." She started to sit back down, and he cleared his throat. "No, please, I would like a hug." His husky voice made her turn back and she gave him a hug. He was stiff and did not lean into her like last night, and it felt awkward and pushed.

Probably because he was drunk and didn't realize it last night. She got it. She tried to let go, but his arms tightened slightly, and she paused, then he dropped his arms and leaned back.

She feared what she would see if she looked up, so she sat instead, and tried not to be hurt. He hugged Lacy warmly. He must like her. That was why he is here, not her. And it stung a lot more than it should. How could she have been so stupid? He was not watching her, he was watching Lacy. Idiot.