Don't drink it!

Before he knew what he was doing, he was on his feet and walking to her in full long strides. He reached the table before she had time to pick up the glass. Thank God.

"Maddy, there you are. I have been looking all over for you." He tried to sound sincere and gave her the largest smile he could plaster on, but she just stared at him, confused. Now what? What should he say? Shit, he had not thought this through.

"Do you all mind if I borrow Maddy for just a moment?" He asked her friend, who was grinning from ear to ear. "Sure, take her." The friend smiled. That was easy.

"No." Maddy glared at him. Ok, not so easy. "It will just take a minute. Please." He held out his hand and gave her a pleading look, hoping his eyes would tell her what she needed, and she would understand, because he was not sure what else to say.

He realized he was shaking as she looked down at his hand, then back up to his eyes. She must have noticed, because her eyes softened and she looked at her friend, as he continued to silently plead. Just do the right thing girl, please.

"Please." His voice was strained as he nodded and his heart raced. His other hand was curled in a tight fist at his side, ready to strike, but he just wanted her to move away from the table first. He needed her to be safe.

Please, just come with me he repeated in his head. Maddy looked at her friend again, then back at him. Please Maddy, please understand. Do not stop trying, he told himself as he held his hand a little higher.

"Just give me two minutes." He looked right in her eyes and she exhaled slightly, but he saw it, and he almost smiled. Good girl. Come on, just take my hand, go with me, away from the table.

"Maddy, if this guy is bothering you, I can..." The idiot tried to break her trance with him, but she did not look away, and he was thankful. Just walk with me. He tried to show softness back, hoping she would not see him as a threat and come with him.

"No, it's fine. Give me one minute. Be right back." She smiled at the blond who winked at her, then glared at Holton. Save it buddy, you are lucky I am not punching you out right here.

She brushed by his outstretched hand and walked towards the bar. Thank you, God. He exhaled as he followed. He just needed ten seconds.

"Maddy." He touched her arm and she jerked away. "What the hell do you want? Looking for me? Really? Why? I don't even know you." She glared daggers. She was mad. Mad? Shit. Not what he was expecting.

"Please, I can explain." He pulled her back to him, turning her into his arms. "What the hell are you doing? Back the fuck up." She tried to pull away, but he tightened his hold.

"Maddy, please listen to me. This is important, you are in danger." He whispered and she stilled, so he pulled her closer into his arms, leaning down to whisper in her ear, but she pulled back.

"Creep, back up. I have no idea what you want, but you won't be getting it here." She snapped and he groaned in frustration. He did not want anything, he was just trying to help, but this was not going well.

"Maddy, I am not a creep, please, listen to me." He pleaded. "I'm listening and you are almost out of time. Please back up." She tried to push away, but he pulled her back in. "Back up." She growled, but she must believe him a bit, because she was not running, or making a scene.

"Listen to me. The blond guy that you are with just dropped something in your drink." "How lame are you? That is awful to say!" She pulled out of his arms, but he fought to keep her close. Damn this girl was feisty.

"Maddy, I am dead serious. I was watching you and saw it. You were laughing at something while his hand was behind your back and he dropped it in. I swear to you. I have no reason to lie to you. I do not even know you." He stared into her eyes, pleading, and she looked at the blond, then back at him.