I chose you

MADDY

"Maddy, I am danced out." Craig dropped in the chair as they arrived back at the table. "It's only been two hours; how can you be so tired?" "I am not used to keeping up with the energizer bunny. How can you two have so much energy?"

"They are young women, and we are old men." Dave laughed as he drained his beer. "You are not old!" Lacy was teasing Dave and it was so cute. They were perfect together. Always so happy and all over each other. Maddy just knew they were going to be a long term thing.

 Craig was loveable, and they had fun, but she was not one to hang on him, and to be honest, it really wasn't his style either. He held hands and hugged her, but he wasn't goofy like Dave.

"I promise all the slow songs, but I think I need a rest on the faster stuff. I am not used to all this activity." Craig kissed her and she went back out with Lacy, leaving them at the table to recover.

When they took a break from dancing to hit the bathroom, Lacy did not hesitate to start in the minute they were in the door, alone. Maddy knew it was coming, she had been waiting for it all night.

"This whole publisher thing is exciting, huh?" "It is. I am still floored that Holton did all of that. From what Craig says, he has never been one to, how did he say it...do for others." "He's doing for you. In fact, he has been doing for you since day one." Lacy grinned at her.

"Craig says he does things for his little group of friends. They consider themselves brothers, the five of them." "I know, Dave talks about it all the time." "I think it's awesome that they have each other." "Well apparently, Holton has added you to the pack." Lacy teased as she went into a stall.

"You know he adores you, right?" Lacy called over. "I adore him too. He is sweet." "And?" "And nothing." "Just say it. It is just us." "Say what?" "I know you do." "Do what? Just tell me what you want Lacy." Maddy huffed as she came out to wash her hands.

"That you like him more than a little." "I do. He is a great friend." "More than that." She grinned bigger. Lacy already knew she did, why did she want to hear it?

"You know that I do. However, I really like Craig, and I do not play that game. I will not lead him on or cross any lines. You know that." Maddy was sterner than she needed to be, but she wanted Lacy to understand.

"I am just asking, so don't slap me, but...have you ever considered you might be with the wrong guy?" "What? NO!" She was surprised at Lacy. How dare she! She liked Craig, a lot.

"Ok, do this, stand right here and close your eyes." "Why?" "Just do it." "Fine." Maddy stood against the wall and closed her eyes.

"Picture Craig." "Ok." "Tell me your favorite thing about him. First thing you think of." "He is sweet and gentle." Maddy smiled as she thought about how kind and gentle he was with her. He took care of her, always.

"Ok, now picture Holton." "Ok." "Tell me your favorite thing about him." Maddy felt her smile get bigger as she thought of him. "His hugs. They are warm, comforting, and safe." "Safe?" "Yes, like protective. They warm me up and make me feel safe." Maddy could imagine them now. His arms wrapped around her, holding her to his warm chest. She could hear his heart beating as her smile spread even wider...WHOA pause.

Her eyes flew open and she blushed deeply. "My point made." "No. I am not doing that." "Doing what?" "I know what you are trying to make me do. Not happening. I like Craig. End of discussion." "Ok. Just let me know when that isn't enough anymore." Lacy finished applying her lip gloss and headed for the door.

Not enough? Why wouldn't it be? Craig was smart, and sweet and made her feel good. Not as good as Holton, but... "Damnit Lacy!" She called after her. "Just making you aware of what the rest of us already know."