"Of course. I always speak my truth" I grin, winking back at her for good measure. It was then, as I felt such pride in being able to make her smile, that I realized when you love someone, nothing feels better than being able to make them happy.

Watching her smile at me, me of all people, despite how upset she currently was, it was the best feeling in the world. I wanted that feeling every single chance I could get it because I was nothing but greedy when it came to seeing her light up.

Her happiness, so it seemed, was my new drug.

~

Later on in the day, about an hour before quitting time, I saw her again. She was, of course, still devastated, but she'd managed to get Sylvie into one of the best rooms with the best oncologist the hospital has.

Which, of course, was only minor but it fed the feeling that she was doing something.

"I wish I could do more" she sighed, her eyes casting downwards to stare at the floor with a troubled look on her face.

"You're doing everything you can humanly do for her. I promise" I reassure her, as many times as it takes, I reassure her.

She'd do the same for me.

She nods, and leans her head on my shoulder with a sigh.

"Thank you, Ames" she says, for what has to be the millionth time. It saddened me to think that she felt the need to constantly apologize to me about how she was feeling.

"You don't have to be sorry; you're human, Zo" I smile, kissing the top of her head lovingly. "You're gonna be okay, and even if you aren't, that's okay too. I'm here for it all"

For the first time ever, I was in a relationship for the long haul. Completely committed, even the laws of gravity couldn't move me from where I stood. Always with her.

In fact, I was standing there on the catwalk with her when people began to scream and run. We were towards the end, and everyone was running, but we didn't know why.

I looked to her, both of our eyes wide as we looked around for the cause of all the commotion.

And then I saw him. A man in his early thirties, probably the same age as I was, wearing jeans and a leather jacket. He stalked towards us angrily, and that's when I noticed it.

He was holding a gun.

"That's Mr. Maxwell" Arizona murmured, her eyes wide with terror and shock as she too saw the gun in his grip.

My heart stopped in my chest, as people around me all ran, I knew he wouldn't let her go. If she ran, he'd shoot her.

"Mr. Maxwell" Arizona says, her voice calm and collected as she turned her attention to him. I could see the fear in her eyes, I could see her heart beating viciously in her chest. As I looked at her, I prayed to whatever God was up there that someone had called the police.

"You're letting her die" he yells back angrily, waving the gun in the air maniacally "you're not going to do anything, and she's going to die. Why won't you help her?" He's begging, and as fucked up as it is, I can feel my heart break a little bit for him.

"If I could help Sylvie I would" Arizona pleads "she's an amazing little girl; if you think for a second that I didn't do absolutely everything in my power to save her, you're wrong" Arizona says, still as calm as she could possibly be in this situation.

"I don't believe you!" He screams, throwing his hands up in the air once again. "You're lying! She can't die! You're killing her!" It was clear at this point that he was completely insane; no matter what we said, he was going to start shooting, and he was going to do it soon.

"Mr. Maxwell, what would I gain from lying to you?" She reasons, trying to really make him think about what he was doing "I have nothing to gain if Sylvie doesn't make it" as harsh as it sounded, it was true. Arizona made the same salary each year, wether the worse off children live or not.

"She's going to make it!" He screams, veins popping in his forehead "she is going to be okay! She is my daughter, I'm supposed to protect her!"

And in that moment, I swear time stood still for a moment. He raised his gun, aiming to shoot her, and I panicked. Instincts took over me, because he was aiming right at her chest, and I knew he was intending to kill her.

"No!" I screamed, jumping in front of her, pushing her out of the way the exact second before he pulled the trigger. My arms shoved her roughly out of the way at the very last possible moment; it was a miracle I'd made it on time.

I heard her body hit the ground, then I heard the gunshot, and I immediately thought he'd shot her. I thought I wasn't quick enough, he'd gotten her before I could.

I suppose the adrenaline was keeping me from completely feeling it, but when I looked up and saw her, all in one piece and seemingly okay, I realized he hadn't shot her, and I could've sighed in relief.

Except when I went to sigh, and I realized the right side of my chest was on fire. The worst pain I'd ever felt hands down.

That's when I realized he'd shot me instead.