5

"I want to take you out" she'd declared, several days later. Sofia was with Mark, and we had the weekend to ourselves. "On a date. A real date"

She was determined, and I couldn't help the smile that broke out across my face.

"I would love to go on a date with you" I smile, a light blush dusting my cheeks "it seems like we've done all of this backwards" I point out, still riding the high that I got from telling her I loved her every morning and every night.

"I was nervous you'd say no" she jokes, casting a charming wink my way.

"As if I'd ever turn down a chance to spend more time with you"

~

We'd planned a date for the next night, she'd wanted to make reservations at one of her favourite restaurants and I had been not so secretly expressing that going out tonight would mean having to wash my hair, even though tonight wasn't wash night.

That meant that we'd spent the rest of the night cuddled up on the couch watching TV. We'd recently started watching a show together, which meant we had to watch more than just one episode.

Halfway through the third episode, around ten o'clock, Arizona's pager went off, despite the fact that she wasn't on call.

"That's odd" she murmurs, brows furrowed as she moves to stand up and retrieve it, and at the exact same time her cell phone rings. "Robbins" she says, answering the phone as she picks up the pager to stop the beeping.

I didn't hear the conversation, I was half-asleep in a mound of blankets on the couch, missing the feeling of her warmth next to me.

"I have to go to work baby" she sighs, and at these words, I sit up straight.

"What happened?" I ask, slightly disappointed that she had to go, even though I knew it had to be for a good reason.

"One of my patients isn't looking good, her parents are demanding me there" Arizona sighs, leaning in to kiss me softly  before turning to go get changed.

That was another catch working in paediatrics; parents. Parents were perhaps the worst part of any peds case, and often demanded a doctor, especially doctors they know and like, when it wasn't really necessary.

But of course, the patients come first, which means if we're requested at their side, that's where we go. It's part of the job.

"Which patient?" I ask, still sitting on the couch in my mound of blankets when Arizona returned from the bedroom, now dressed and throwing some things into her purse.

"Sylvie Maxwell, she's three. She's got terminal cancer, several tumours on her lungs that we've tried removing before, but at this point, we can't remove anymore of her lungs without removing everything" She sighs, pulling on her jacket and grabbing her keys.

But then, amidst it all, she looks over at me, and she just smiles, before going to put on her shoes. I smile, knowing I'm going to miss her while she's gone, watching as she turns to leave.

"I shouldn't be more than a couple of hours" she promises. "I love you, wait up for me"

"Yeah, okay. I might just fall asleep right here, right now" I tease, soaking in her smile before she left, locking the door securely behind her.

I sat in silence for a moment, contemplating what I would do since I was now bored and alone for the time being. I hated the feeling of being alone, it felt too empty and eerie, so I decided to waste an hour by taking a shower, hoping maybe Arizona would be home sooner than expected.