CHAPTER 1-2: A Congregation of Wolves

Depuis le début

The day's first feast began as soon as Don Rossi took his seat. Gianni sat between him and his son, Vanni, who looked every bit like his father – except he was twenty-odd years younger.

A lean-looking Alpha in his mid-twenties, the young heir had the typical features of a pure-blooded Italian: jet-black hair, thick brows, round dark green eyes, sharp nose, and strong jaw. He was dressed in an all-black suit that made him look like he's attending a funeral than his father's birthday. Gianni couldn't tell where one piece of clothing started and where the other one ended.

Being the first Alpha offspring, Vanni was already the destined successor of Don Flavio. The young man's aura fell somewhere between aggressive and respectful, not yet seasoned enough to assume command, but was clearly headed in that direction. Don Flavio made sure his heir would learn the ropes before he turns fifty the following year.

Sitting directly across from Gianni were Donna Margareta from the Lagorio crime family and Don Julian from the Esposito family, together with his eldest daughter, Emilia. Sitting at the further end of the table were Signora Donatella, the wife of Don Abramo of the Gismondi family, along with two of her young children, Enzo and Luca; and Don Christoph from the Napoleoni family, who had the most number of escorts in the party. He was accompanied by his three wives, all of whom are Alphas.

The way Gianni sees it, it was looking more like a congregation of wolves than a mere birthday celebration.

Don Flavio refilled his glass with wine and raised it for a toast. "Here's to the Lone Wolf!" He then clinked his glass with Gianni's and took a sip. "To future partnerships."

Some of the guests at the table raised their glasses to Gianni, except of course for the Napoleonis, who don't seem to have high regard for Omegas outside their own "kind".

Christoph Napoleoni was taller than anyone there, and a little on the burly side – lean and defined, with a menacing look that's typical of a dominant Alpha. The man had intimidating dark brown eyes and neatly cut black hair with some gray at the sides. His light brown skin told Gianni he was a native of southern Italy.

The Lone Wolf didn't mean to stare, but he couldn't resist it. Not until Don Christoph looked back at him did he finally look away. He turned his attention back to Don Flavio, who whispered into his ear. "Ignore the man. I hear his family's going through a difficult transition these days."

Gianni set his glass down. "What could be difficult for an all-Alpha family like theirs?" he asked, keeping sarcasm to a bare minimum.

"That there, is the problem. I heard Christoph's taken in a goomar*. A male Omega at that." Don Flavio paused dramatically for this to sink in. "I'm telling you now, friend. If you can't produce an heir to carry on the family name, an Alpha's pride will only get you so far."

"Is that so..." Gianni glanced at Don Christoph one last time and broke into a wry smile. "Things do change over time, don't they?" He took a long, satisfying sip of his wine.

"Flavio told us a little bit about it," Margareta Lagorio said across the table to Gianni, breaking into the conversation. "It's all over the news right now, see?" She showed Gianni her phone, the screenshot of a news article that had just come through in her inbox.

'N.Y. Police: Fed Deputy Director missing, suspected for dereliction of duty, connection with illegal rambling ring'

Below the sensationalized headline was a photo of a man in uniform, looking far more dignified and respectable than when Gianni had last seen him: Deputy Director Christian Harper.