Chapter fifteen

The following night, the Narnians had decided to begin their plan and invade Miraz's castle. After going through the plan multiple times, with the approval of Talia and Caspian's expertise on the castle- Peter was sure that this plan was the best possible, and so the night began.

Talia was paired with Edmund; their task was to send the signal to the others that it was clear to enter. They were flown in on Griffins and dropped on the castle's tallest tower- the Watchtower. Adrenaline coursed through the pair's veins, but both trusted in their own abilities and the other's abilities, to keep them safe. The Griffin's carefully dropped them down onto the top of the watchtower, where one Telmarine soldier patrolled, and they hid on the roof top out of sight. Talia nodded to her Griffin to act, and it grabbed the Telmarine soldier right off his feet, dragging him away into the night.

Both Edmund and Talia replaced the soldier's spot on the tower, weapons handy- just in case. Edmund rushed over to the wall of the tower, grabbing out his torch, holding it to the side, flashing it repeatedly, whilst Talia checked the tower for any more soldiers, of which there were none. Edmund's signal brought about the arrival of more Griffins which flew their friends to their relative positions. And just in the distance Talia could make out the silhouettes of more Narnians, ready to charge; this shadow of Narnians grew closer and closer encroaching on the castle walls.

Talia and Edmund watched as the various Griffins flew around the castle, taking out multiple Telmarine soldiers.

"Edmund!" Talia whispered, tugging on his arm, to get him to quit flashing his torch, drawing attention to their side. 

"Sorry, I got a bit carried away." Edmund shrugged, with apologetic eyes.

"You think?" she questioned, dragging him down to hide from the eyes of a watchful Telmarine soldier, who had readied his arrow to shoot at them. They watched through the cracks in the wall, as Susan shot before he could, killing the Telmarine in his tracks.

Talia saw a shadow run through the corridor that led to Miraz's bedchambers; a single shadow- the plan was not going according to plan. "Wait here!" Talia demanded Edmund, before running off down the Watchtower's stairs.

"Talia!" he called after her, reluctant to leave his post.

She stopped on the staircase, calling up to him, "please Edmund, wait there." she begged, and he complied, although not without worry for the girl.

Running through the castle she was met with several of Miraz's soldiers. She grabbed her sword and began attacking each one. Each time they came harder, stronger, but she fought back just as well. It was not long before they had all fallen at her feet. The girl paused for a second catching her breath.

"What's all this?" a loud voice declared.

Talia's heart pounded at the sound of the bellowing voice, she at once recognised who it belonged too. She froze with fear, slowly turning around to face the man, tears welled in her eyes, "Cildis." she exclaimed.

"... Sister." he replied, an evil smirk on his face. The elder boy's sinister face was dressed in blood splatters, and his blonde hair dragged down his face, in greasy strands, "Thought you were dead."

"Do I look it?" she replied, quietly.

"Speak up, I can hardly hear you over all this treachery."

She smiled, at first to his comment, she was afraid of her brother, she had been for so many years, but now she knew, there was no time for fear, or cowardice. She pulled her sword up off the floor, "perhaps my actions will speak louder." she declared, slamming her sword in her brother's direction, who craftily dodged it, pulling out his sword from its sheath. She threw another hit at Cildis, "You. Shall. Not. Prosper. Any. Longer." the girl shouted, in between hits.