Chapter forty-seven

A dull sadness filled the veins of Talia, it floated around through her being. She felt numb to it all, as though nothing could harm her, yet at the same time everything could. Susan's words had struck a cord with her: she cared about Edmund too much to see him break when he had to leave her in Narnia. Her magic was rising within her, as the anger swelled: when was it her time to be happy? Her mind told her to forget about Edmund, forget about them all and leave for the forest, but her heart told her to cling to all of the seconds she got with all of the siblings. Talia was logical but she struggled to not give in when it came to matters of the heart. It was the easiest route to succumb to one's desires- she longed to be touched, and held, and loved.

Still seated upon the bank of the river, Talia's magic was now growing out of her control, she could feel it rising within her and with every conflicting thought it grew larger. The river began to move just as restlessly as her; it slammed upon the banks and it's force caused splatters of water to cover over the girl in a blanket of cold. Talia's tears now began to mingle with the river water that ran down her face and through her hair. And the earth around her, too, began to grow restless. The grass elongated it arms high up to her knees, as it tried feebly to try to comfort her. Talia's confliction between mind and heart only grew more forceful as she pondered it further, and nature became intertwined in her feelings, quickly becoming just as angered as she and the ancestors within her who know awoke. And as guests of the ball looked out at the girl from their balconies, fear rose within them, as they called for soldiers to sort her out.

It wasn't long before trees that once stood peacefully, swayed stronger than ever before. The girl's power was at the highest it had ever been, as the wind now moved in harsh slices directed at anything in it's path; a gust of it even sent a tree to the floor- a tree that once stood strong for hundreds of years knocked dead, separated from land it had been connected to from the beginning of it's life. At this even Talia winced, and although just a second prior her eyes held no emotion, now they stored a sense of guilt. Guilt for all of the mess she was making. As nature roared the girl walked towards the fallen tree, with the wish to help it.

But something whizzed past her before she was able to do so; an arrow. Hurt and confusion was now the emotions to dominate, were they shooting at her? She turned to face the direction of the palace and her concerns were only answered. Blankly she stared over at the soldiers who aimed their weapons at her direction. But the girl did not care to prove to them that she was not some vicious freak of nature, instead she turned her weapons towards them; if she was to go out she would go out in style.

The soldiers didn't want to shoot at the young girl, but as her power got stronger and closer towards the palace doors they could only assume the worst: treason, and as the Pevensie siblings were otherwise engaged, they followed their guts.

Talia was saddened at the sight of the soldiers in front of her; they were supposed to be her friends, they all were and where were the kings and queens to stop them, did they not care about her either? So she did as they all assumed, and aimed her power in their direction; she was fed up with doing the opposite of what others assumed of her. With the raise of her hand, the river rose behind her, and so did the trees and their roots. With the drop of her hands she could let them all loose, destroy everybody in that palace and never have to think about the pain others caused her ever again. There would be nobody left for her to hurt, and no one left to hurt her.

And the girl was just about to but several faces of the people she loved ran out from inside of the palace; there was Peter, Susan, Lucy, Edmund, Caspian- even Trumpkin and Aslan himself. Frustrated at this new development, all Talia wanted to do was throw her hands by her side and let them all go but something within her held her back. She didn't know whether it was the look of fear that was plastered in Lucy's eye or the roar about to be released from Aslan's jaws or Edmund's shaking hands that held on protectively to his younger sister.

It took a second for her to blink back to reality, and when she did she fell with a tremble to the floor. A veil of disappointment cascaded over her, she was in awe of how quickly she was able to loose control, and how close she was to killing them all, and for what? For love?

Caspian, being her closest friend, was the first to brave approaching the girl. He moved quickly, and swiftly over to her, calling out her name in pure concern. In the corner of his ear he heard the sigh of Aslan and then the lion's feet retreating away, and the boy pondered over Aslan's motives for doing so.

As Caspian walked over to the girl, Edmund's heart pulled out of his chest, he ached at the sight of Talia slumped over on the ground, wallowing in her exhaustion. His grip upon his sister's shoulder only grew tighter as the girl failed to respond to any of Caspian's calls. His teeth sunk into his inner lip as he forced himself to stay rooted on the spot, not wanting to invade on the already overwhelming situation, and even if he did want to move forward, he couldn't; Susan's hand held him tight, and prevented him from rushing over- this angered him.

Caspian continued to move forward, but the closer he got the more he realised: it was not him she needed, she had outgrown his protection. He paused in his tracks, heartbroken at the sight of his friend who he knew could not be comforted by his presence anymore, another had taken his place. His eyes filled with tears, as his heart began to run laps around him. His head hung, and he turned to face Edmund, "It is not me she needs." he spoke, slowly.