28

winwin sighed, staring up at the tall and kind of intimidating boy in front of him. his mind kept wandering back to the conversation he had with keni last night.

lucas paused his stare to furrow his eyebrows, "sicheng are you even listening to me"

winwin jolted a bit in his seat and nodded unconvincingly, "uh huh yup. listening very closely."

lucas rolled his eyes, "as i was saying. stop running away from keni and let's settle this fair and square."

"what do you mean?" winwin asked warily.

"i don't want to fight with you," lucas explained his intentions, "and you need to stop running away from her. it has only hurt the both of you and i don't like seeing that. i heard your conversation with keni last night and she admitted that both of us make her happy at some point. she only has to pick what kind of happiness she wants. so stop running away and let it happen naturally."

"b-but"

lucas cut in, "i know you're avoiding confrontation with her because you're scared she's gonna turn out the same way as ayeri. but you're only making the problem worse. if you keep on going this way, you really will lose her for sure and frankly, the boys and i are not about to go through your moping stage all over again."

winwin hesitated but nodded anyways, holding out his hand for a friendly handshake to seal the deal. just as winwin was about to pull his hand away, lucas clenched on tight, "don't fuck it up, if you hurt her again i won't be this nice."

just then, keni bounded down the stairs after her shower and greeted the boys, mainly just lucas. she smiled sweetly up at him while he loosened the ponytail in her hair.

"your hair is wet. remember the last time you tied your hair up when it was wet? you got a headache," he reminded and tucked the hair-tie into his pocket for safekeeping.

winwin clapped his hands together loudly, "OKAY! where we going boys?"

keni grabbed her keys as lucas continued to fix her disheveled appearance for her, tugging on his sweatshirt that she wore so that it it was neat and tying her shoelaces. 

they were headed to the first known orphanage that keni had been to. it barely existed in her memory, but after a few days of researching and finding her past, she had succeeded in narrowing it down and she pressed hard on the gas pedal, anxious to see what the old place had in store for her.

her past had never really interested her before, but now that she felt like she had a real purpose in life with the boys, she wanted to know why she was tossed to the side like that. find her family in nct made her both hate and be curious about her family by blood.

she parked recklessly in front of the orphanage, shrugging as she was never a big fan of parallel parking. at least she didn't hit the cars in front and behind of her this time. 

unsurprisingly, the orphanage was deserted and the doors creaked eerily when the trio pushed on them. the place had a thick layer of dust and cobwebs, but other than that, it was almost as if it was still in function. 

they crossed into an office and saw papers still scattered across the desks, as if someone had just left them open to get a quick coffee break and come back. 

in the childrens' bedrooms, the beds were unmade and toys were scattered across the floor. 

keni coughed on the dust and whispered, "what happened here?"

lucas was equally bewildered, "where did everyone go?"

winwin hummed, "i don't like this. let's go back to the office and look through the papers."

the other two agreed and they swiftly retreated into the office room again, officially spooked by the place. they all blew air onto the desks and papers, scattering the dust into the air in big puffs of grey. 

"well that was easy," lucas said holding up a paper with a picture of a baby labeled HUA KENI.

the odd thing was, all the papers had to do with keni and nothing about any of the other children. keni yanked one of the drawers open only to find more files that were written with her name. 

her heart beat fast as she held the big pile of papers in her hand, staring at her two companions, "what's going on?" she asked even though neither of them would be able to answer. 

honestly lucas best boy. i know this is a winwin fic, why did i do this to myself :(