Chapter 13: Graduation and That Empty Feeling

Today's the day, Naruto thought as he woke up and got ready to start his day. All too soon the school year had come to an end, at least Naruto thought so. It had been a long and unusual year but Naruto was sad to see it end, or rather he was dreading team assignments. I want to be on Hinata-chan's team but my luck isn't that good, Naruto thought.

"If you're put on the Uchiha's team, kill him," the Kyubi said.

He makes it pretty damn tempting, but I can't, Naruto responded. He went on; I don't have the skills to get away with it.

"If you don't like him either why were you trying to make nice with him a few months back?" the Fox asked.

It seemed like a good idea at the time, I didn't realize he was so against the idea of having friends, Naruto answered.

Continuingwith his questions the Kyubi then asked, "Are you worried that teaching him those jutsus will come back to bite you in the ass?"

No, they were four low-level elemental jutsu and chances are he would have come across them on his own at some point, Naruto answered.

"You're probably right about that, but I still think it was a bad idea," the Fox commented.

Yeah, extend an olive branch to Sasuke and he tries to beat me over the head with it, Naruto though rather bitterly. With the conversation over, Naruto showered and got ready to start his day.

Iruka had just finished making breakfast when Naruto had finished his morning routine. Sensing something amiss with his surrogate little brother and favorite student he asked, "Is something wrong Naruto?"

"Yeah gaki, I thought you would be excited," Anko chimed in from her spot at the table

"I am, I mean I'm sure I'll graduate this time with my Mu bunshins, but I guess I'm just nervous about the future," Naruto told them.

"If you're worried about your friends don't be, I'm sure they'll pass," Anko said.

"It's not that, I think I'm worried about the team assignments," Naruto explained.

"Naruto, you should focus on the obstacle in front of you right now, worry about the teams after graduation," Iruka told the blonde.

"If you pass one of us will teach you the Shunshin no Jutsu, how's that sound?" Anko asked.

"Sounds great, I think I feel better too," Naruto told his surrogate sister.

"Glad to hear it, now eat up. We have to meet Hinata-chan and Kurenai-chan for independent morning training," Anko reminded her otouto.

"Sure thing Nee-chan," Naruto said, all worries forgotten.

Anko had finished teaching Naruto what she could about snake style a few months back. That didn't stop Naruto and Hinata from insisting on morning training. The training now focused on jutsu creation, elemental manipulation, and taijutsu practice, under the watchful eye of two jonin kunoichi.

For the past week-and-a-half Naruto had been working on a new jutsu; he found a way to shroud himself in darkness but he could not complete it. He would try to cover himself in his shadow but he couldn't get it past his waist without it receding.