Chapter 4: Essence of Mu

When Naruto woke up he noticed that the Kyubi's estimate was off. It was indeed morning, specifically 3:00 am, Great the Academy doesn't start for four more hours, I guess I could meditate and see if I can summon those blades again. With that Naruto got into the lotus position and started to meditate. This time it was much easier but he made no progress with the Ethereal Blades.

"You haven't reached Mu yet, you won't be able to summon the blades outside of your mind," a gruff voice said in Naruto's head.

I should have figured, but at what point does one reach Mu? Naruto asked Kyubi.

"I think the old man explained it once, you have to ignore everything around you."

Who is the old man?

"The Rikudō Sennin, obviously."

I suppose he would know, but that doesn't sound too hard.

"There is more to it than that. It is meditation but it isn't like normal meditation, either this world does not seem to take kindly to being ignored, or Nothing is protective of its territory."

The second part of that statement makes no sense, does Nothing have a consciousness?

"I don't know, this is just what I've heard, it didn't make sense when the old man said it either." The Kyubi said getting irritated.

Sorry, but this is confusing.

"It's fine, but if I am correct, once you achieve Mu you won't need to meditate to use Mu release, you could just will your Ethereal Blades to appear. You shouldn't need hand signs for Mu jutsu either, but that is just speculation based on what I know about Yin and Yang justu."

Okay, want to meditate with me?

"No, but I will keep quiet while you do it."

Alright, I guess I should get ready for class.

With that Naruto shut off his alarm clock, since he wouldn't need it, and began his morning routine. After a breakfast of cup ramen he set out for the Academy.

I don't think I've ever gotten here this early, Naruto thought as he entered the classroom. He was used to it being more crowded when he arrived but right now the only occupants were Hinata, in the back, and Sasuke in the corner near the front. Seeing his partner for his after class lessons Naruto made his way up to Hinata to tell her what they would be doing.

"Hey, Hinata-chan!' the energetic blonde exclaimed.

He called me Hinata-chan, thought an elated Hyuga heiress, "Ohayo, Naruto-kun."

"Did your father tell you what we would be doing after class?" Naruto asked the shy girl.

"Yes, but he did not say where to meet Ichiro-sensei," Hinata managed to get out as color rose in her cheeks.

"We have to go to Training Ground 7 after class, I can't wait," Naruto told his classmate.

By this time the rest of the class had begun to enter the room so the two decided to get ready for the lesson. When all the students arrived Iruka and another man entered. This man had bluish-white, shoulder length hair, had the same build as Iruka but had much paler skin.